THE FORUM

30-Apr-24, 05:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty Found Injured - Downtown Rochester (2/10/12)  (Read 109102 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 13-Feb-12, 11:20:09 AM »

Do other raptors fight to the death like peregrines?  This has been bothering me for quite some time now. Most of the back yard birds I'm familiar with usually settle their battles before any serious injury occurs. How will the peregrine population ever increase if one simply replaces another through serious injury or death? Perhaps this is happening because of so many nests in cities?? Sometimes it almost seems as if peregrines are determined to keep their population low. It's extremely frustrating to watch. I sure hope someone can post some good information on this subject for me to read.

Dot in PA

Good questions Dot and hope we get some good answers. The Canadian falcons seem to get along, know their boundaries. Unity went way off her boundary. Maybe some are more aggressive? I can't imagine the pigeon supply dropping at Kodak Park, so what made her come to Beauty's territory?

His name is Archer

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 13-Feb-12, 11:41:34 AM »

I don't know Rochester as a city at all but just an educated guess, it's about location and reproduction.  From what I've read here over the years, Beauty had the better (in a falcon's view) territory in terms of available places to nest and hunting grounds. The failed nest likely added to that desire to ensure a successful nest this year - better location and not having to share Archer would improve those odds.  

My site here with Jack, who has 2 sites and 2 females works for a number of reasons.  Both females are older, were already in established territories and had raised young successfully at their respective sites.  Both sites are equally good - both have alot of areas where they can safely and successfully nest, lots of good hunting close by and more importantly Jack feeds and incubates at both sites and he's now fledged offspring at both sites so the females are both happy.  My understanding is - and Tracy/Frank can correct me if I'm wrong but I was told - that Windwhistler when he did run two sites, in the last year two of the eyases died because he didn't supply Wind with food and she eventually had enough and drove him out.  Both Archer's sites failed last year - so two unhappy females, one is bound to see the other as part of the problem.  Not a personal thing but simply a matter of how to ensure I do what I'm hardwired to do - which is reproduce and ensure the continuation of my line.

Gord Brandt, a famed falcon Biologist out in Alberta has written some interesting articles, his last one discussed 'locations' and he mentioned how one of the tiercel's there has worked his way up through the available nest sites.  Even though he had some success at the say 'less than desirable' sites with a mate, he has made a play for a better site twice - last year taking out his brother at the second best site in the city of Edmonton.  So each time he's moved to a better location.
Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 13-Feb-12, 11:47:21 AM »

Although it seems that Peregrines in Canada are well behaved they actually are not.  In 2011, we had 4 adult changeovers in southern Ontario.  McKenzie replaced Sir Adam at the Burlington Lift Bridge, Stormin replaced Irving at Canada Square, Marla's mate at Nanticoke was run off altogether and she had to raise her three chicks alone and Infinity, after reclaiming her territory from the rogue, has since been replaced by that same rogue in Mississauga.  We have quite the battles up here as well.  In 2008, O'Connor took Juliet to the ground in front of the William Osler Hospital and the two just went at it.  Trust me, the peregrines up here are not as well mannered as they appear.  drool

They way I feel about it is that it never gets any easier from a watchers standpoint as we see the birds we come to know and love get into it with others.  From a biological perspective, the strongest will prevail and pass on their genes creating a stronger population overall.  With a finite number of available nesting territories, spats are due to happen.  From a falcon watchers perspective, genetics be damned cause its always sad to lose one.  Beauty is a really tough cookie and the fact that she's made it through the weekend is a really good sign.  Our good thoughts go out to her from across the pond and we hope that her recovery is a speedy one.  
Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 13-Feb-12, 11:53:27 AM »

Absolutely true Carly.  The birds are driven to reproduce and will seek out the best site and the best mate with the best of everything.  They'll fight to get it and fight to keep it as the biological drive to have young is undeniable.  The best equals success, so to speak.  It sure doesn't make me feel any better when they get into it, knowing that they essentially can't deny themselves as they are so driven to reproduce.   
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 13-Feb-12, 12:18:24 PM »

Do other raptors fight to the death like peregrines?  This has been bothering me for quite some time now. Most of the back yard birds I'm familiar with usually settle their battles before any serious injury occurs. How will the peregrine population ever increase if one simply replaces another through serious injury or death? Perhaps this is happening because of so many nests in cities?? Sometimes it almost seems as if peregrines are determined to keep their population low. It's extremely frustrating to watch. I sure hope someone can post some good information on this subject for me to read.

Dot in PA

Good questions Dot and hope we get some good answers. The Canadian falcons seem to get along, know their boundaries. Unity went way off her boundary. Maybe some are more aggressive? I can't imagine the pigeon supply dropping at Kodak Park, so what made her come to Beauty's territory?

His name is Archer

SO true .Archer was around when Mariah was hurt, then last year with the two nests and now Beauty.   
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 13-Feb-12, 12:26:30 PM »

Absolutely true Carly.  The birds are driven to reproduce and will seek out the best site and the best mate with the best of everything.  They'll fight to get it and fight to keep it as the biological drive to have young is undeniable.  The best equals success, so to speak.  It sure doesn't make me feel any better when they get into it, knowing that they essentially can't deny themselves as they are so driven to reproduce.   

The best mate!! That excludes Archer, (even though I love him)  heart

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 13-Feb-12, 03:27:26 PM »

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=RFC To light a candle for our Beauty. I started our own group. She needs us!  heart
Another candle for Beauty...........................
Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 13-Feb-12, 04:10:32 PM »

June Summer's has been in contact with the rehabber that is currently caring for Beauty and the DEC today. 
Beauty is in stable condition and the Vet here in Rochester is conferring with the DEC's Falcon expert in Albany.  So, she is getting very good care.
At this time, we do not have any...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1645

This is an automated post.
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 13-Feb-12, 04:44:31 PM »

TY for all the information being provided, it is fascinating & very informative

Lit another candle for Beauty  heart

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 13-Feb-12, 04:54:45 PM »

June Summer's has been in contact with the rehabber that is currently caring for Beauty and the DEC today.  
Beauty is in stable condition and the Vet here in Rochester is conferring with the DEC's Falcon expert in Albany.  So, she is getting very good care.

Link:

This is awesome news that Beauty is still with us after the weekend and in stable condition.  Come on Beauty.  You are a strong Falcon.  Heal quickly.   pray

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 13-Feb-12, 05:01:11 PM »

Beauty is in stable condition and the Vet here in Rochester is conferring with the DEC's Falcon expert in Albany.  So, she is getting very good care.

Link:

This is awesome news that Beauty is still with us after the weekend and in stable condition.  Come on Beauty.  You are a strong Falcon.  Heal quickly.   pray

Absolutely Carol. All I do is pray!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 13-Feb-12, 05:30:30 PM »

I am so glad that Beauty made it through the weekend and is in stable condition. I am sure she is receiving the best of care, and hope she will heal quickly. Thank you for the update.
pdk
Fluffball

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 13-Feb-12, 06:27:53 PM »

Hope the news continues to be good.  Come on Beauty!!!

Patricia (NE Florida)
falconsforever129
Juvie

Like Count: 37

~~Believe In Miracles~~

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 13-Feb-12, 06:28:19 PM »

I am so thankful Beauty is still with us and I pray that she will heal completely and come back stronger than ever..... heart
 falcon2
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 13-Feb-12, 06:46:49 PM »

Gord Brandt, a famed falcon Biologist out in Alberta has written some interesting articles, his last one discussed 'locations' and he mentioned how one of the tiercel's there has worked his way up through the available nest sites.  Even though he had some success at the say 'less than desirable' sites with a mate, he has made a play for a better site twice - last year taking out his brother at the second best site in the city of Edmonton.  So each time he's moved to a better location.
Carly, I believe you intended to refer to biologist Gordon Court in Alberta. He has worked with peregrines for many years, and is extremely knowledgeable. He has rescued and cared for many peregrines. As others have mentioned, Canadian peregrines are no less aggressive than their counterparts farther south. Here in Alberta, there have been many territorial battles, several of them fatal.

Here is a link to an article by Gordon Court about one injured peregrine:

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/publications/conservation-magazine/online-version/2011-spring-summer/peregrine-repair/

And an article on just one of the many territorial battles which have taken place in Alberta:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=58c316e0-6a89-47a8-a6a9-392981a8cc40&k=58457
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: