THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 08:16:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty's sister Belle at University of Toledo  (Read 7677 times)
Cynthia
Small Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« on: 04-Jun-12, 04:04:47 PM »

We were all saddened to learn of Unity's demise, especially since she was one of our "graduates," but in her honor, one of the two females who hatched from the nest of Belle and Allen this year was given the same name. (There were two males as well.) So who knows who may once again swoop in from western skies...

We're still working on getting a fal-cam here at U of Toledo, but here's the helmet-cam view of what Ohio Division of Wildlife employees saw prior to the chicks' banding. Belle, of course, is mounting the most fierce attack.

The video's gone viral and was even picked up by Right This Minute News:

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/researchers-brave-falcon-attacks-science

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Jun-12, 04:08:27 PM »

We were all saddened to learn of Unity's demise, especially since she was one of our "graduates," but in her honor, one of the two females who hatched from the nest of Belle and Allen this year was given the same name. (There were two males as well.) So who knows who may once again swoop in from western skies...

What a nice thing to do!  We are still all very sad that Unity is gone-she was a lovely falcon-glad her name will live on in her sister!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-Jun-12, 05:00:24 PM »

How wonderful to read this news and know that Unity's spirit will live on in her sister.  I miss having my morning coffee with her, she was a beautiful falcon and a fierce and loyal mate.  wub2

ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-Jun-12, 05:02:16 PM »

We're still working on getting a fal-cam here at U of Toledo, but here's the helmet-cam view of what Ohio Division of Wildlife employees saw prior to the chicks' banding. Belle, of course, is mounting the most fierce attack.

Thank you for the update, and excellent first post! Welcome to the forum!
nwfloridafalconfan
Juvie

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-Jun-12, 05:26:47 PM »

Those Ohio rodents better watch out!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-Jun-12, 05:39:00 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Cynthia!
That's a wonderful tribute to a beautiful Falcon. I think of Unity every time I see Beauty and DC brooding her egg along with theirs. heart
Oh, my! Belle sure is a fierce momma!  scared blue

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-Jun-12, 06:48:43 PM »

Wow, this is awesome, WELCOME Cynthia and thank you so much! Great video of a fierce momma protecting her babies. Unity lives on!  heart

The Commentators were funny!!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 04-Jun-12, 08:00:56 PM »

Thank you for posting this, Cynthia.
DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-Jun-12, 08:09:25 PM »

Many thanks for sharing this info and video clip.  I have shared it on my Facebook page (been trying to educate a bit about Peregrines).  The sound quality is good on this. 2thumbsup
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-Jun-12, 08:50:55 PM »

How wonderful that one of Belle's offspring is being named Unity!  This video is awesome.  Those birds don't mess around. They hit the wooden shields, and hit the hard hat wearing person!   They do protect their young. 
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-Jun-12, 09:01:49 PM »

How wonderful that one of Belle's offspring is being named Unity!  This video is awesome.  Those birds don't mess around. They hit the wooden shields, and hit the hard hat wearing person!   They do protect their young. 

It is interesting to think that such 'deadly force' is used in a 'robbery' where jewelry is added and not taken way...

One would hope that their talons don't get scraped up by hitting the wood or plastic - just the thought of high-speed slivers makes me wince! scared blue

However, seeing the aeronautical skill she uses to fly through the arch without hitting the wall after she hit the hard-hat? That's impressive! bow
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-Jun-12, 09:19:34 PM »

Much higher quality video with no commenting other than by the on-deck warriors...
2012 Falcon Banding

The amazing flight skills - see the screen capture below from the slow-motion at the very end. Her tail is sideways, while her wings are upright!
« Last Edit: 05-Jun-12, 02:36:50 AM by ezsha » Logged
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-Jun-12, 02:48:53 AM »

You can't get much closer than this!

(Concerning the 'motley crew' on the far side of the tower, insert monty python caption here...  Cheesy)

All kidding aside, incredible captures!  notworthy

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-Jun-12, 05:51:28 AM »

That video is amazing!  bow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-Jun-12, 07:55:18 AM »

Great video but more importantly how great is it that Unity has been honored in this way! Thank you so much!!! I will never forget Miss Unity. heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: