THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 07:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1418149 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 23-Oct-10, 08:17:57 AM »

Stormin spotted again! Great photos of him and ...there may be a chance for romance  Wink

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/10/sightings/stormin-spotted-again/

http://raptorwatch.blogspot.com/2010/10/murray-spots-stormin-again.html
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 23-Oct-10, 08:27:24 AM »

GREAT news! Thanks so much Carly. What an exciting year! What a handsome peregrine and he's 1 of the 50% that made it through his first year.  clap

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 23-Oct-10, 12:57:24 PM »

He's quite the handsome little guy heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 23-Oct-10, 02:17:41 PM »

yes  Gorgeous guy!   heart Thanks!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 23-Oct-10, 06:30:15 PM »

*sniff* The last time I saw Stormin, he was just little and covered in white fluff.  *sniff* and now look at him, all growed up.  *sniff*   Cry

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 23-Oct-10, 07:08:53 PM »

*sniff* The last time I saw Stormin, he was just little and covered in white fluff.  *sniff* and now look at him, all growed up.  *sniff*   Cry

He reminds me a lot of Alkyonis...  wub2

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
falconsforever129
Juvie

Like Count: 37

~~Believe In Miracles~~

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 23-Oct-10, 10:11:55 PM »

He's beautiful ! wub2
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 04-Dec-10, 09:50:48 AM »

Now here's someone we haven't seen in a while-Rhea Mae!  On her standpipe in the sunshine!

Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 04-Dec-10, 06:46:07 PM »

Now here's someone we haven't seen in a while-Rhea Mae!  On her standpipe in the sunshine!

Ei

WooHoo!   yahoo

Ei - Thanks for sharing this picture of the most gorgeous Rhea Mae in the sun.   clap

Carol P.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 28-Dec-10, 05:20:49 PM »

This is a post on the Sheraton site.  Other sightings included.  The watcher thinks Hunter may be with Wind.  My question is where is Ranger, if that is so.

Downtown/Midtown Toronto Summary
December 25, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Harry Crawford Reports:

I developed a short summary of my involvement with the Downtown and Midtown Toronto peregrines from a volunteer’s perspective. Brief information on some of the other sites is included. The purpose for doing this was to accompany Christmas cards. Since it covers several sites, I have placed it here in the Sheraton site postings as this is where my year began.

Harry and the Peregrines – 2010 Summary

The phenomenal success of last year has repeated itself again this year. Of the available nine chicks, eight survived to the end of the watches. We also had an additional site to monitor. I worked the two downtown sites as well as Yonge and Eglinton. Because of the G20 Summit, we were issued photo id cards in case the watches overlapped the G20. Fortunately this was not the case.

The first watch was at the Sheraton Centre. Rhea Mae and Tiago had three chicks – two males, Star and Lorenzo and a female, Legacy. Star apparently likes opera. He flew into the underground parking garage, perched on a pipe and eventually flew out again. A rescue was not needed. He has a daughter this year. I attended the banding at this site. Our MPP, Glen Murray, also attended and made a nice speech. It was good to get his support. Next year, the watch here is going to be more difficult now that Jan has retired and moved to France. It was great to have her high up in her perch in First Canadian Place and in almost constant radio contact. Hurricane, born here in 2004, is the resident male at the William Osler Health Centre in Etobicoke.

The next watch was at 18 King East. Erin and her mate had two chicks – Malik a male and Zera a female. We still have not identified the adult male. Zera was trapped on a glass balcony and had to be rescued. Both chicks did well and kept their height. We have word about previous chicks. Jasmine from 2001 was severely injured and had to be put down. Ely from 2008 is raising a family in central New York State. Majesty from 2002 [one of the Toronto Five] is raising another family in Flint Michigan. She is also the last survivor from this hatch. Her parents were Ponce-Kingsley and Victoria.

Just when we thought the watches were over, Mark got a call from Toronto Animal Services that a baby peregrine had to be rescued from a glass balcony near Yonge and Eglinton. Ranger and Hunter used to be the resident falcons in this area. Clearly these were different adults. The nest is located at 2200 Yonge. An emergency watch had to be set up quickly. Frank, from the Etobicoke site, took charge. Most of the downtown team participated along with Bruce and Lyn, who lives in a nearby condo. All four chicks had to be rescued with one not making it. The survivors are two females – Cyclone and Tara, and a male – Typhoon. We took the opportunity to have the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources folks band the birds when we had them in hand. Also, Lyn kept them in her condo when necessary.

At Mt. Sinai, Wind and her partner had two clutches of four eggs. Nothing hatched. There is some suspicion that the male may Hunter from Yonge and Eglinton which was another failed nest for several years. Up there, they were on the Canadian Tire building.

In Etobicoke at the Sun Life complex, Angel and Jack had three male chicks – Blackberry, Dot-com and Mercedes. Three rescues were necessary, including Blackberry from a balcony. OMNR folks later let us know that a male peregrine chick was found dead in Guelph. It was Blackberry. Mackenzie from 2009 has a mate in Burlington.

In Ottawa, Diana and Conner laid two clutches. Unfortunately nothing hatched. Nihei from 2009 was injured and died in Quebec. Zanar from 2004 has a successful nest on the Ogdensburg bridge with four chicks.

At Yonge and Bloor, the pair from last year remain. They did disappeard for a couple of months during the summer but that was probably due to the number of building cranes in the area. No nesting attempts were observed. They tend to hang out at the CIBC building at Yonge and Bloor, the apartment tower in the Manulife Centre and the TD Waterhouse building at 77 Bloor West. There was no evidence that they were around the Four Seasons Hotel this year.

In Rochester, they have a new pair of adults – Archer and Beauty. From what I gather, they successfully raised three chicks this year. The nest box was moved to the top of the Times Square building downtown. The Kodak cameras were moved there as well.

The red-tailed hawks at Queen’s Park are still around and have raised a family again this year. They can now be found on the tallest of three pine trees just east of the east flag pole on the south side of the Legislature.

The turkey vultures in the Bloor and Sherborne area are still around. They are often seen in the Yonge and Bloor area being chased by peregrines. Large flocks of these birds often pass overhead. Welcome to once a week garbage pickup.

Posted on December 25, 2010 2:03 pm
Observation for Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Anatole France
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: 29-Dec-10, 09:46:58 AM »

Ely from 2008 is raising a family in central New York State.

Majesty from 2002 [one of the Toronto Five] is raising another family in Flint Michigan. She is also the last survivor from this hatch. Her parents were Ponce-Kingsley and Victoria.

Zanar from 2004 has a successful nest on the Ogdensburg bridge with four chicks.

Where is Ely?

Is Majesty Mariah's sister?

Zanar is Valiant's (Sabrina) mate?  Does anyone know about the 4 chicks?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 29-Dec-10, 10:17:44 AM »

Majesty from 2002 [one of the Toronto Five] is raising another family in Flint Michigan. She is also the last survivor from this hatch. Her parents were Ponce-Kingsley and Victoria.

Zanar from 2004 has a successful nest on the Ogdensburg bridge with four chicks.

Where is Ely?

Zanar is Valiant's (Sabrina) mate?  Does anyone know about the 4 chicks?

Do you mean is Majesty Cabot-Sirocco's sister?  They have the same parents, Ponce-Kingsley and Victoria.  She would be Mariah's sister-in-law.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 29-Dec-10, 10:52:02 AM »

Where is Ely?

Yes, Zanar is with Valiant.  I have notes at home about the 4 eyases-I'll post the details later...

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 29-Dec-10, 11:48:21 AM »

Where is Ely?

Yes, Zanar is with Valiant.  I have notes at home about the 4 eyases-I'll post the details later...

I had heard from June who heard from the DEC lady in Ogdensburg that one of the eyases fell into the river before fledging.  Thankfully a man had been kayaking and came across the struggling youngster.  He reached his paddle out and the young falcon climbed up onto it and was brought to a rahabber.  Soon after the eyas was given a clean bill of health and returned to the nest area.  Another happy ending.   clap

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 29-Dec-10, 03:50:15 PM »

How sweet that the man was there when the little one needed help! 
Carol, any word on Ranger?  Bothered me that the guy thought Hunter was with Wind.  (No success with babies so if it is Hunter, that may explain the multitude of failed births for Ranger).

Anatole France
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: