THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 11:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1409872 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: 24-May-11, 11:20:45 AM »

Wow...does she look like Mariah this morning or what?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: 24-May-11, 11:39:10 AM »

CUTE!!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: 24-May-11, 11:40:52 AM »

CUTE!!

wub2 I think that's Mini-the others have their masks already

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: 24-May-11, 11:59:00 AM »

And she is protective like her mama.  Such a legacy heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: 24-May-11, 12:06:30 PM »

Found these posted by Alison L on the CMNH forum

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: 24-May-11, 07:48:11 PM »

Four baby falcons, 43 storeys and an 80 per cent death rate

In a chorus of squawks, four fluffy falcon chicks were introduced to the city Tuesday on the 43rd floor of the downtown Sheraton Hotel.

The newest additions to Toronto’s growing peregrine population — Sunshine, Cinnamon, William and Kate (yes, our very own Royal Couple), each a frightened bundle of white down — announced their presence with ceaseless chirping.

“They’re magnificent,” said Joyce Miller, who made the trip from Rochester, N.Y., to see the newborns.

The baby peregrine falcons, or eyasses, are the progeny of Ria (sp)-May(sp) and Tiago, the Sheraton’s rooftop couple. Ria-May was born in Rochester, while Tiago is a local boy.

The chicks, all born in the last three weeks, were “banded” — fitted with tiny anklets which allow both the U.S. and Canadian wildlife services to monitor them — by Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources, with help from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.

“It’s like a SIN card,” said foundation director Mark Nash, adding the ankle bands do not harm or inconvenience the birds.

The newborn chicks will be entirely dependent on their parents for the next two and half months, but around their 40th day they will attempt their first flight. That’s when Nash and his devoted volunteers will carry out what he calls the foundation’s primary function: “fledge watching.”

Uncoordinated and naĂŻve, the flutter feebly in the wind and often crash to the ground in their early attempts to fly.

So from dawn until dusk, “fledge watchers” will babysit from below. They will watch for spiralling nose-divers, attend to the wounded and generally protect the chicks from ground-level dangers until they can confidently flap and glide on their own. By doing so, they hope to reduce the birds’ 80 per cent infant mortality rate.

Thirty years ago, there was not a single peregrine falcon in Ontario, according to Nash, who said that pesticides, especially DDT, nearly wiped out the species. Ontario is now home to more than 80 of the predatory birds. More than 16 couples live in the Greater Toronto Area and its environs.

The Sheraton and its rooftop nest have played host to a number of mating falcons since the late 1990s.

While the downtown core may seem a perilous place for the birds, they in fact thrive in urban environments. A skyscraper ledge acts as a cliffside perch and unsuspecting pigeons provide ample nourishment.

Toronto’s other beloved peregrine couple — Quest and Kendal, who met, serendipitously, across from Harlequin’s North York headquarters earlier this year — could soon be parents. The couple’s first egg is expected to hatch next weekend.

Kate is one of four tiny falcon chicks that live atop the Sheraton Centre in downtown Toronto. The four were banded today by the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and Ministry of Natural Resources, and can be watched 24 hours a day on the Internet.

Toronto Star

http://thestar.blogs.com/photoblog/2011/05/up-close-and-personnel-with-the-chicks.html meet the chicks

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: 24-May-11, 07:58:11 PM »

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: 24-May-11, 08:06:53 PM »

What a beautiful post about the falcons.  Totally AWESOME!

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: 24-May-11, 08:08:10 PM »

Could someone give me the links to this cam & also if there are any others so I can watch them. Thanks

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: 24-May-11, 08:33:37 PM »

Could someone give me the links to this cam & also if there are any others so I can watch them. Thanks

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/toronto-sheraton-centre/
Click on the picture top left for the webcam.  There's a long list of active sites down the left side of the page, but only a few have cams right now.

anneintoronto
« Reply #625 on: 24-May-11, 08:59:55 PM »

Here you go, Braveheart.  This will take you to all the Canadian Peregrine Foundation cams and observation pages.  Enjoy!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/webcams.html

I'm sorry that I wasn't at the banding at the Sheraton Centre today...  And I have no excuse.  My head space simply got in the way of an incredibly special moment.  That's it.  I haven't felt too comfortable here, on rfalcomcam, since my several rather pointed posts.  Not because of what any of you said or even if any of you remember them, but because of what I've come to realize about myself and how I express my opinions.  There's little point expanding on that.  But I wasn't comfortable with seeing the gals from Rochester at the banding, which was no doubt unfounded and my loss alone.  But I am really sorry that I cut myself off this way and how I haven't counted on going to Rochester at all this year, although I am now retired and can travel.  Now I have to rethink that.  Because I really regret my decision today.

I hope that no one else will make the mistakes I made assuming, instead of just asking in any circumstance.  You miss a tremendous number of things that way...  It denies one the joys of life...

Thank you for all the posts, the URLs, the photos.  What an awesome foursome of eyases.  One can't help but fall in love with them, wish them lives of pure perfection, thank Rhea Mae & Tiago, for their diligence and drive to continue their line.

Anne in Toronto
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 24-May-11, 09:03:17 PM »

Anne, you are one of us and we are here.  I'm so sorry you didn't go to banding (but there is still Quest)! and I hope you are less hard on yourself.  You've been through some trying times

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 24-May-11, 09:15:20 PM »

EVERYONE!   GO to the link and see the pictures of Rhea Mae and Tiago's four gorgeous offspring.  Grand-eyases of Marian and Kaver.    See the article in the Toronto Star and the blog...leave a comment. 
Love the names!  Sunshine!  William!  Kate!  and little Cinnamon!   Cinnamon is the tiny male.
Joyce was quoted in the article.  Lucky Rochester falcon flakes team!     Saw these bebes but also Quest and Kendall and Linn and Reuben   and others too!    YAY  for team Rochester falcon fans/flakes!   
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 24-May-11, 09:16:56 PM »

Oh no...Mariah...not Marian.  Typing too fast>
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: 24-May-11, 10:22:18 PM »

Anne, I have done the same.  Everyone gets welcomed back into the flock (although falcons do not flock). Rhea Mae and Tiago don't know the difference.  But someday they may miss you at the banding. I can tell you that after only three years at Jersey City and the same at Water St, the birds know us watchers.  So keep on watching. One day missed is not a big deal.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: