THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:27:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1409424 times)
anneintoronto
« Reply #720 on: 08-Jun-11, 01:06:05 AM »

Well, today I start my first fledgling watch at the Sheraton Centre!  This morning it's unofficial, as I am joining Harry Crawford to get an idea of the strategies they use to cover an area of such tall buildings, so close together.  Yikes!!  And Harry is going to teach me how to use the communications radio.  Then, on Friday, I am going to join Linda Woods to be officially shown the ropes.  Although I've been around rfalconcam and the CPF for quite a long time now, I've never be involved in the watches, but retirement and good health allows it now and I'm ready to go!  And yeah, a bit nervous!  But will get used to it soon, I'm sure!

I was actually stopped at the Sheraton Centre, on Monday, on the way back from a walk to the water front and saw either Rhea Mae or Tiago flying overhead!  Can never see this too often -- always get excited!  And now I hope to see a lot more!

I'll let you know how it goes!  I just kind of hope that none of the eyases decides to suddenly become a fledgling tomorrow, rain and all..., although Harry has years of experience!  Linda Woods thinks Friday at the earliest.  And she really is an expert at such things!

Anne in Toronto
BIGFRANK
« Reply #721 on: 08-Jun-11, 04:31:21 AM »

Good luck Anne,Harry is a really nice guy,and knows his stuff,all the views and favorite landing spots to check. He'll give you a good base to start from. Linda does really know her stuff. Dont let her sometimes tough demeaner scare ya. The experienced watchers downtown will help you out alot. Im sure you will do a great job. Remember the Rochester gang will be around to help on the weekend!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: 08-Jun-11, 09:24:56 AM »

We won't be able to tell it's Cinnamon by the fluff for much longer...  crying too soon...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: 08-Jun-11, 09:30:31 AM »

We won't be able to tell it's Cinnamon by the fluff for much longer...  crying too soon...

They always Ketch-up!  devil

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: 08-Jun-11, 09:36:35 AM »

He's definitely got that ermine coat look going on today!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: 08-Jun-11, 12:38:42 PM »

I'll let you know how it goes!  I just kind of hope that none of the eyases decides to suddenly become a fledgling tomorrow, rain and all..., although Harry has years of experience!  Linda Woods thinks Friday at the earliest.  And she really is an expert at such things!

Anne in Toronto

Anne - you'll do fine!  I'll never forget Jeanne's and my first fledge watch together.  We were newbees and signed up at the same time with no experienced watchers with us.  We each had a carrier, a spray bottle, a light shirt or blanket, a notepad, our binoculars and our walkie talkies. We were fully prepared and petrified that one would fledge on our watch!  

Have fun!  ~Joyce
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: 08-Jun-11, 04:23:24 PM »

Well, today I start my first fledgling watch at the Sheraton Centre! 
Anne in Toronto

You made the CPF update, Anne!

2011 Sheraton Watch Start
June 08, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Harry Crawford Reports:

Well, the Sheraton watch started today.  I arrived on site at
7:45am.  Two chicks were visible and an adult flew to the
‘Centre’ logo for a brief while.  At 8:50am, the swing stage was
moved to the south side [not lowered] and started moving west,
towards the nest ledge.  I was afraid it would cause a premature
fledge so quickly went over to the hotel and talked with their very
receptive management.  The stage then moved east and around to the
north side.  The chicks didn’t seem disturbed.

On the way back to the courtyard, I met up with Annie Clarke who
is joining the watch.  We spent a fair amount of time with site
orientation and then met Zoe who introduced us to Vanessa, who will
also spend time with us on the watch.

All in all, the chicks were not running around or flapping.  This
supports Linda’s feeling that we likely will not have a fledge until
the weekend, accident excepted.  Incidentally, the adults were seen
on the west KPMG logo with a full view of the nest ledge.  This is a
new office tower.
Posted on June 8, 2011 3:51 pm

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: 08-Jun-11, 05:44:51 PM »

I am so sure you will do just fine Anne!  I (and Kathy O, Dana & Lisa Mc.) are so looking forward to joining the fledge watch for Rhea Mae & Tiago's young on Saturday.  We'll bring a scope, cameras, binocs, radios, etc, etc.  Oh and maybe a net!   laugh

This is definitely a different kind of watch than we are used to.  But so excited to be able to help.

See ya this weekend and good luck with your first watches.   thumbsup

Carol P.

Well, today I start my first fledgling watch at the Sheraton Centre!  This morning it's unofficial, as I am joining Harry Crawford to get an idea of the strategies they use to cover an area of such tall buildings, so close together.  Yikes!!  And Harry is going to teach me how to use the communications radio.  Then, on Friday, I am going to join Linda Woods to be officially shown the ropes.  Although I've been around rfalconcam and the CPF for quite a long time now, I've never be involved in the watches, but retirement and good health allows it now and I'm ready to go!  And yeah, a bit nervous!  But will get used to it soon, I'm sure!

I was actually stopped at the Sheraton Centre, on Monday, on the way back from a walk to the water front and saw either Rhea Mae or Tiago flying overhead!  Can never see this too often -- always get excited!  And now I hope to see a lot more!

I'll let you know how it goes!  I just kind of hope that none of the eyases decides to suddenly become a fledgling tomorrow, rain and all..., although Harry has years of experience!  Linda Woods thinks Friday at the earliest.  And she really is an expert at such things!

Anne in Toronto

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: 08-Jun-11, 05:55:17 PM »

Fledge Meeting!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: 08-Jun-11, 06:03:13 PM »

Anne, so glad you are on a fledge watch!  And so cool that the rochester watchers are coming up there!  It is so different up there with such high buildings!!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: 08-Jun-11, 08:16:09 PM »

Sunshine's hollering at something...

anneintoronto
« Reply #731 on: 08-Jun-11, 09:07:19 PM »

I had just the most incredible day, on my first fledge watch at the Sheraton Centre!!!  It was very hot -- high 90s with 51% humidity, but somehow it didn't matter!  I got there really early and didn't leave until 7:15pm, when Linda Woods and I decided that the thunderstorm was going to hit any minutes and headed inside.  And she took me up to the 43rd floor to peek through the hole at the 4 eyases, still where they belonged!!  It was so amazing to see them close up!!  They are gorgeous!!  Throughout the day, we saw plenty of Rhea Mae and Tiago flying, carrying food in and out and just sitting watching the nestbox area diligently!  I met Harry, Zoe, Vanessa (also on her first day), Bruce and, as I said, Linda Woods and they were really welcoming, so helpful, took me all over the place to learn vantage points, for all the places fledglings can land!!  The place is just a mass of huge buildings!  Apparently the hardest of the Toronto peregrine sites to watch, because the fledglings can land anywhere!  And now I truly believe it!  Anyway, just thought I'd tell you what a wonderful day I had, how privileged I feel being included in this effort, how just plain excited I am to have seen so much!!  And it all starts over again, tomorrow!!  2thumbsup

Anne in Toronto
BIGFRANK
« Reply #732 on: 08-Jun-11, 09:45:54 PM »

Awesome Anne,never a doubt things would go well! The gang there is very experienced. Its a great chance to learn fledge watching,observe the amazing birds and learn about them and make a difference. Whether one is called upon to make a rescue or not,being part of the team is very important. Each volunteer must play their part and together you all make a difference! Good luck on day 2.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: 08-Jun-11, 10:03:25 PM »

Awesome Anne,never a doubt things would go well! The gang there is very experienced. Its a great chance to learn fledge watching,observe the amazing birds and learn about them and make a difference. Whether one is called upon to make a rescue or not,being part of the team is very important. Each volunteer must play their part and together you all make a difference! Good luck on day 2.

Well said BigFrank and congrats Anne for your first completed fledge watch.  Thanks to all the volunteers that help out with this very important job.   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: 08-Jun-11, 10:21:04 PM »

Sounds like you had an exciting day Anne and they didn't even fledge yet! Imagine when they do. Have fun.  clap

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: