THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 06:13:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1416386 times)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: 24-Jun-11, 11:50:40 PM »

I actually love talking about all the Mariah and Kaver family tree.

Let's see if I have this right.  It's late and I have to get up early to get to Buffalo to check on the Central Terminal Gang.

Freedom is M&K's 1st son.
Archer is Freedom and Purity's first son.
Making Archer M&K's grandson.

Rhea Mae is M&K's daughter.
Cinnamon is Rhea Mae's son.
Making Cinnamon M&K's grandson.

Freedom and Rhea Mae are brother and sister.
Rhea Mae is Archer's aunt.
Freedom is Cinnamon's uncle.

So that make them cousins!  Hahahaha!  Don't you have a headache now?  I do!   silly

Nite all!!!
Carol P.

Should have seen my eyes after doing the family tree!   tired

And so many grand-eyases to do this year!   clap

That is what I thought of when I realized that Cinnamon and Jemison are related, and all of the other  hatches this year.   The Mariah and Kaver legacy is moving on, spreading and it is wonderful.
All of the gals love to cross borders; Archer is only crossing town!   happy
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 25-Jun-11, 12:02:16 AM »

When is an eyas not an eyas anymore?  When it sits in the nest until its chest feathers become adult white!  And that's going to happen to Kate and Cinnamon, if they stay up there much longer!!  What a day!  They sat there, looking as if they might go...  They flapped, jumped in and out of the ledge, flapped some more.  And you think my hair was grey before!!  You take your eyes off them and they could be long gone, visiting some lofty building to the east, to the west, to the south!  Yikes!  But the end of the day found them sitting up there still, kakking softly at me, sitting 'way down below, permanent circles around my eyes from my binoculars, butt about to fall off!  Truly, I think they want to stay up there!  And who can blame them -- food delivered to the door, lovely breezes, shelter from the pouring rain!

Sunshine, on the other hand, is amazingly mobile.  I watched in awe as she played tag with her parents, kakking at the top of her lungs the whole way!  She is really a noisy one!  I never have to look hard for her -- she announces her presence loudly and clearly!!  And can she fly!  Her whole family tree would be totally proud of her!  She's fast, fairly accurate, energetic and proud!  I thought she had settled in for the night on the "S" of the Sheraton sign.  But come 8pm, off she goes again, tries for the top of the tall building her dad's sitting on, doesn't quite make it, starts around again and he takes off in a stoop, just misses her, and the chase is on!  Twisting and turning, Sunshine kakking her head off, swooping, reversing in a flash, climbing.  She's just the greatest!!  I just stand there in awe, holding my breath, wondering how all the people walking by cannot see all that's going on in their sky!  Actually a lot of people ask me what I'm looking at -- and when I tell them, they are so interested, quite taken by the whole scene!  If those two sit up there long enough, all the people of Toronto are going to be falcon watchers!  Bonus!!

Anne in Toronto

By the way, I took a series of photos of Cinnamon's rescue...  Linda put some of them in her CPF report.  If anyone wants to see them -- there are 14 -- I'll be happy to send them on...  I don't remember how to post them here...

Wonderful posting, Anne.  Sounds like you are having a ball with this fledge watch.  Great reports.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: 25-Jun-11, 01:05:04 AM »

When is an eyas not an eyas anymore?  When it sits in the nest until its chest feathers become adult white!  And that's going to happen to Kate and Cinnamon, if they stay up there much longer!!  What a day!  They sat there, looking as if they might go...  They flapped, jumped in and out of the ledge, flapped some more.  And you think my hair was grey before!!  You take your eyes off them and they could be long gone, visiting some lofty building to the east, to the west, to the south!  Yikes!  But the end of the day found them sitting up there still, kakking softly at me, sitting 'way down below, permanent circles around my eyes from my binoculars, butt about to fall off!  Truly, I think they want to stay up there!  And who can blame them -- food delivered to the door, lovely breezes, shelter from the pouring rain!

Sunshine, on the other hand, is amazingly mobile.  I watched in awe as she played tag with her parents, kakking at the top of her lungs the whole way!  She is really a noisy one!  I never have to look hard for her -- she announces her presence loudly and clearly!!  And can she fly!  Her whole family tree would be totally proud of her!  She's fast, fairly accurate, energetic and proud!  I thought she had settled in for the night on the "S" of the Sheraton sign.  But come 8pm, off she goes again, tries for the top of the tall building her dad's sitting on, doesn't quite make it, starts around again and he takes off in a stoop, just misses her, and the chase is on!  Twisting and turning, Sunshine kakking her head off, swooping, reversing in a flash, climbing.  She's just the greatest!!  I just stand there in awe, holding my breath, wondering how all the people walking by cannot see all that's going on in their sky!  Actually a lot of people ask me what I'm looking at -- and when I tell them, they are so interested, quite taken by the whole scene!  If those two sit up there long enough, all the people of Toronto are going to be falcon watchers!  Bonus!!

Anne in Toronto

By the way, I took a series of photos of Cinnamon's rescue...  Linda put some of them in her CPF report.  If anyone wants to see them -- there are 14 -- I'll be happy to send them on...  I don't remember how to post them here...

Great report, Anne!  Would love to see pictures!!!  Rhea Mae's sibling Aura was very loud and we could always find her!  It sure helps to find them when they are like that!!!!  Such fun reports to read!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 25-Jun-11, 09:27:54 AM »

Seneca took her time leaving the nest and when she did watch out she was a great flier.
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: 25-Jun-11, 12:21:24 PM »

Whatever the relationship Cinnamon is just precious  wub2

& Jemison is my 1st falcon love  heart

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: 25-Jun-11, 11:15:34 PM »

CLING-ONS!
June 25, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Linda Woods Reports:

Ground Hog Day continues, I swear we have cling-ons. I checked the ages I have for banding day on May 24th, Kate was estimated to be 23 Days of age on that date, which makes her approximately 54 days old today!!! give or take a day or two. What is she waiting for… foreclosure?  Adults were not very active in the area this afternoon,evening. Could it be the film crew activity on the roof area across the street. Maybe, but the activity level from Kate and Cinnamon has not changed much. Still testing their wings, some running of the ledge, not a lot of vocalisingfrom Kate and Cinnamon. Food drops were made,small portions. Cinnamon is not getting much, Kate and Sunshine grabbing most of it.  Sunshine continues to spend much of her time away from the area, it appears south of King St. Perhaps BCE Place, both Rhea Mae and Tiago seem to head off in that area.

Watch Continues.

Still on the ledge
June 25, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Harry Crawford Reports:

When I arrived just before 7:30am, Cinnamon and Kate were on the
nest ledge with Sunshine on the top of the logo, just above them.
Mom was on the north west corner of 130 Adelaide and dad was on the
west KPMG logo.  Cinnamon did a lot of flapping but both birds
remained on the ledge.  They were fed just before 7am [webcam] and
again, just after 8:30am.  Cinnamon did get a good portion of both
feeds.

I left just after 11:30am with Marion, Zoe, Annie and Janine on the
watch.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 26-Jun-11, 06:57:47 AM »

Only 1 at Sheraton, unless one is hiding!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 26-Jun-11, 08:31:12 AM »

Must have been hiding...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: 26-Jun-11, 08:37:08 AM »

A wing!!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 26-Jun-11, 08:42:40 AM »

Must have been hiding...

Although I only see one right now...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: 26-Jun-11, 09:11:04 AM »

Must have been hiding...
Although I only see one right now...

And now it's 3 again!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: 26-Jun-11, 07:17:51 PM »

I was just about to post a hmmm...I wonder...then there she is again...

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 26-Jun-11, 08:42:02 PM »

Cinnamon poses for a picture

anneintoronto
« Reply #988 on: 27-Jun-11, 02:20:00 AM »

Saturday, June 26, 2011

What a day we had at the Sheraton site...  Everything was against Kate and Cinnamon doing anything, going anywhere.  First, yesterday and today, they were filming a movie, involving the outside of a strategic building, the area was loaded with noisy trucks, wandering, loud people, bright lights all over the place.  People, despite being asked not to, told clearly why, were up on that roof all day long...  A small, bright white blimp was taking aerial photos of a future building site next door and floated in the way.  A shiny Mylar balloon slowly floated through peregrine space...  The whole day was peregrine disastrous.  The adults couldn't sit on that same building, where they normally sit to encourage the would-be fledglings out, couldn't fly their usual course to the nest site, were basically cut off, frustrated from the normal course of things.  There were no fly-bys, no luring of the youngsters with food, no regular presence...

Poor Kate and Cinnamon weren't fed until after 7pm and then Kate grabbed the main, Sunshine zoomed in to help herself...always the opportunist...the successful.  Cinnamon chewed on some tiny scrapes, tongued some feathers....nothing substantial.  It was nothing short of truly dismaying.  He was no match for the two bigger, stronger females.  It's amazing to see all three of them on the front of the ledge.  Sunshine is huge, a third bigger than Kate, twice as big as Cinnamon...  It makes one sad, less than optimistic.  However, nature can be strange, things may turn a good corner tomorrow.  I'm certainly not writing Cinnamon off yet.  We can but hope, count on the cleverness of these good, already proven parents, count on nature eventually balancing things out.  We can hope...

However, I feel that I must very seriously stress that one really does have to be realistic, has to be willing to truly understand survival of the fittest, whether it is what our human hearts want or not.  Life is so tough.  Survival is truly hard.  But the fact that peregrines are rebounding proves that all is possible, all is still hopeful in general.  Still, one has to remember that Cinnamon, although indeed a real cutie, is a cutie because he is so small, has such big, dark eyes, is the underdog, but, and it's a big but, he has already been given one reprieve, after not making some right decision, not being able to cope.  Perhaps this is not his time, something that's not meant to be...  Although this is certainly not what I want -- remember, I have looked him directly in the face from one foot away, fell instantly and completely in love with him -- is not what any of you want, reality is not listening to us, is not at our command.  I have to believe in what is truly best...  And still keep my fingers crossed that all will have a story-book ending.  Because that is what I want, what you want...

I will be there again tomorrow.  Am more than willing to put in long hours, put up with a cricked neck, a numb butt...if it will help at all.  But I refuse to be angry, totally disillusioned with the lack of fairness, if things just don't go the most wanted, the most wished for way...  I have to believe that nature works the way it does for a reason.  So, I will let you know what goes on tomorrow, will hopefully have good news for you...  It's all I can say...  Wish there was more...

Anne in Toronto
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: 27-Jun-11, 07:06:51 AM »

Thank you for the report Anne.  Loving these birds can certainly be a roller coaster.  I'm just glad neither Kate nor Cinnamon tried to go yesterday with all the activity...recipe for disaster!  I have faith that scrappy little Cinnamon will do just fine.  We have to have faith...sometimes it's all we have.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: