THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:40:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1409427 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: 29-Jun-11, 02:57:30 PM »

Not that I was REALLY worried, but...  phew

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: 29-Jun-11, 05:45:21 PM »

I think it was Alkyonis here that was rescued a couple of times and had issues.  She was seen, last year I think, to everyone's amazement.  She was a bit before my time so Carol, Shaky or one of the other watchers could probably provide details.  

I really think the non feeding was cause they were trying to coax them to fly and be able to lift off.  But what the heck do I know?!

Yes, you are correct Jeanne, Alkyonis was one of our problem children.  She came down twice.  The first time was near the Kodak Tower.  The Watchers were able to rescue her and get her to the vet.  She had a bit of a droop in her wing and she was kept in rehab for quite awhile.  Then she was released at the tower.

Not long after that, Lisa came to me and said that she just got a call from June.  There was a downed Falcon at the animal services bldg just north of the Kodak Tower.  We both went over to make sure that it was a Peregrine and if so which one.  We got a quick look of her and we were able to positively ID her as Alkyonis.  Again she was released.  

Imagine our surprise last year when we received word that she had been positively ID'd.  After her rocky start, she made it to adulthood.  What an awesome surprise.   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
anneintoronto
« Reply #1037 on: 29-Jun-11, 09:38:45 PM »

I personally (and this is my opinion only but based on my fledge watches) don't think they would abandon the kids at this point, had there been something wrong they would have known at birth as we've sometimes seen on cam when a parent stops feeding a baby and they perish on cam.  I've seen females fledge at day 50 and boys fledge at day 48...it is actually not that unusual.  The reason they're devoting so much attention to Sunshine at this point is because she has caught on so fast and it and will enable them to focus on the other two when they are ready.  It may look like the parents don't care but from my observations, the parents always know where the kids and once the kids advance the parents step in with more support.  To a falcon parent, the job isn't done until they teach the kids to hunt for themselves, it's hard wired into them to do this.    There have also been some famous cases..like Polly in Montreal where the parents allowed her to stay well beyond the normal time frame due to her injury.  

I know it can be hard to watch, there have been many times I've cursed our pair here and yelled at them for seemingly ignoring certain juvies in trouble but they always proved my fears wrong.  Mackenzie, our 2009 male is now nesting at Burlington and I can tell you even Bruce thought he'd never make it - in fact one night he told me to prepare myself to find him dead because he had been gone so long and likely didn't have what it took..I tell you I was in tears and barely slept that night and the next day Mac made the flight of his life right back to the nest ledge - I was standing in the road cheering him on with tears running down my face.  He spent over a week in trouble without food and parents, was rescued 3 times and was well behind the other 2 and now Mark and everyone down there is raving about him and saying they've never seen a falcon hunt like he can so don't give in to despair.  You're tired from fledge watch and you want them to succeed so much and it can be difficult to see the bigger picture or even like what you're seeing at times but hang in there.. The fact that Kate and Cin have made it this far is is a good sign, some kids are just slower picking up but once they 'get it' it sticks.  It's hard for us humans to understand the lessons being taught to the falcons but they are birds of prey and they need to be tough to survive and what we perceive as being cruel is in reality a lesson in survival for them.

Thank you, Carly, for your well thought out and resourceful response to my question.  I really appreciated your input!  I believe that you're right that it is a good sign that Kate and Cinnamon did fledge, have survived and that they are birds of prey and have to learn to be tough.  Again, thanks to you and to you others who added suggestions, ideas!

Today was an odd day, as little was seen of the peregrines at all!  When I first arrived, I did go up to the 43rd floor and spotted two juvies on 130 and 150 Adelaide Street -- both relaxing out of the wind.  It was good to know that they were still safe and sound.  I did see some great aerial work by an adult, Tiago, I think, and Kate, as they toughed their way up to the Sheraton sign letters.  Kate isn't as smooth as Sunshine yet, but really is getting there.  Sunshine I didn't see at all!  She's off being independent, practising, I presume!  My last sighting of Cinnamon was enchanting and I will remember it for a long time.  He was on top of 120 Adelaide Street, which is a very tall building, and was playing in a water puddle!  He'd drink a little, splash right through to the other side, flip his wings in the water, shake, drink some more, skirt the edges, fly a little way away, then stomp back in a determined manner, drink some more, stand in the middle and look proud of himself!!!  It was fascinating to watch, very pleasing!  It was definitely him, as his red taped band was visible.  And there was an adult on the next building, carefully watching this son at his play!  And so I left him.  Smiling away to myself!

The watch at the Sheraton is wrapping up.  Various times will be spot checked tomorrow by Harry, Zoe, Linda and me.  I will go down for a little while in the afternoon, just to go up to the 43rd floor one more time, see what and who I can.  But Kate and Cinnamon seem to be starting to do quite well, have been fed some, are starting to develop their skills.  I do so hope that they do well, manage to persist and grow, turn into skilled and daunting adults!!  If wishes could make this possible, I'm sure that their way would be clear, as I know you all are pulling hard for them.  It's really all we can do.  The best we can do.  The rest is up to them!

Anne in Toronto
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: 29-Jun-11, 09:53:00 PM »

...Kate and Cinnamon seem to be starting to do quite well, have been fed some, are starting to develop their skills.  I do so hope that they do well, manage to persist and grow, turn into skilled and daunting adults!!  If wishes could make this possible, I'm sure that their way would be clear, as I know you all are pulling hard for them.  It's really all we can do.  The best we can do.  The rest is up to them!

Anne in Toronto

Thank you for the report, Anne!  I can just see our little Mini playing in the puddle...what a beautiful picture!

Rhea Mae has been on the ledge for a while now.  She keeps looking off to her left -west, I think?-probably one of the youngsters over that way...she's watching...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: 29-Jun-11, 09:57:19 PM »

!!! Cinnamon Doing Well
June 29, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Linda Woods Reports:
Annie was on site when I arrived, she had seen two juvies, but all was quiet for a long time. I went up to 43 and did not see any birds in view at all. Annie and I watched the film crew do their thing. At 7p.m. back up to the 43 where Annie and I saw Cinnamon playing in puddle of water on the very top of 120 Adelaide. Cinnamon also took this time to have a drink as well. Adult on the north east corner of 130 Adelaide keeping watch. Back down to street level. If we had not seen any other peregrine activity, we were going to call it a night early since the watch started on June 8th. At 8p.m., I went up to 43rd for a last head count and Annie ( Thanks Annie) headed home.

Of course, Cinnamon had huddled next to the stove pipe on the top of 120, but was getting active. He scooted across the roof top and flew off attempting to land on the upper 130. Missed the landing and recovered nicely flying around 130 and back to the top of 130. At this time a second juvie flew in front of the club lounge windows and it appeared to head to the nest. Cinnamon took off from 130 and flew to the top of the Sheraton above the “R”.  Back to ground level, Cinnamon took off again and over to the top of 130.

He is maintaining his height,  and recovering well from aborted landings. The adults are attending and providing food. Sunshine and Kate were scarce this evening and have been off for most of the afternoon and evening.

At this time, and with the agreement of Mark Nash that we are good to cut back on the watch and do spot checks only.

Thanks, Harry, Zoe, Annie, Janine, Vanessa, Marion, Sharon, for the long hours for this unusual extended watch.
Posted on June 29, 2011 9:40 pm
Observation for Toronto - Sheraton Centre

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: 29-Jun-11, 10:17:52 PM »

Oh Anne!  What a wonderful thing to see-- sweet baby at play!!!  A precious memory for sure!!! heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: 29-Jun-11, 10:20:58 PM »

Hey Anne.  I know the fledge watch is winding down, but I hope you can still continue to watch them learn to fly.  That was always the fun time for the Rochester Watchers, after nervously watching them fledge.  It is hard to watch there though.  Too many tall buildings.  Enjoy this time with them.

Thanks so much to you, Linda and all the other CPF Watchers that helped keep Rhea Mae and Tiago's young ones safe.  Bravo!   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
anneintoronto
« Reply #1042 on: 30-Jun-11, 12:54:56 AM »

Hey Anne.  I know the fledge watch is winding down, but I hope you can still continue to watch them learn to fly.  That was always the fun time for the Rochester Watchers, after nervously watching them fledge.  It is hard to watch there though.  Too many tall buildings.  Enjoy this time with them.

Thanks so much to you, Linda and all the other CPF Watchers that helped keep Rhea Mae and Tiago's young ones safe.  Bravo!   clap

You can be sure that I will be wandering down that way in the next weeks.  I like to walk around in my city daily anyway and the juvies certainly are a draw for me to head that way!  Now that I've learned their territory, it's easier to spot them.  And I do love to watch all of them -- adult and juvie -- soaring around, travelling at tremendous speeds as if it is a walk in the park!!  They are totally amazing, just awesome!  I will also be wandering over to the King Street East site to watch the two juvies over there as well.  Originally it was thought that the natural progression would be to finish off the Sheraton site, then proceed to the King St. one, but the sequence was off and I was only over there once!  The Sheraton group really threw some curves into the mix, the watch lasted much longer than expected!  Anyway, I will let you all know how the three at the Sheraton are doing, what I'm seeing!

Thanks for your kind words!  I consider myself to have gained so much in the last weeks and, aside from witnessing many interesting peregrine feats, I have made some new friends!  Such a bonus!

Anne in Toronto
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: 30-Jun-11, 05:51:58 AM »

Wonderful report Anne, my talons and toes are crossed that all the kids stay high and safe!  Great job! clap 2thumbsup
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: 30-Jun-11, 08:41:20 AM »

Great job, Anne, and thanks for all your great fledge watch reports!  thumbsup

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: 30-Jun-11, 08:52:10 AM »

Great job, Anne, and thanks for all your great fledge watch reports!  thumbsup

For sure! Well done, Anne! Very vivid, every time.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: 30-Jun-11, 03:12:37 PM »

A quiet morning
June 30, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Harry Crawford Reports:

I did a head check this morning around 7:30am.  Cinnamon was on the
south east corner of the DBRS building and one of the girls was on
the north east corner of the National Bank building.  Tiago was
asleep on the south Sheraton logo and Rhea May was sleeping on the
south west corner of the lower Sheraton building, next to the
running track.  I couldn’t see the other girl from ground level.

From 23, Rhea Mae had left, Cinnamon was also gone but the girl on
the National Bank building was still there for a brief moment.  Back
on ground level, everyone was gone from view except Tiago.  I left
by checking out the area around University Ave. and Wellington [as
well as Metro Hall].  I didn’t see or hear any peregrine activity.
Posted on June 30, 2011 9:48 am
Observation for Toronto - Sheraton Centre

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: 30-Jun-11, 06:43:31 PM »

Someone's on the far end of the ledge.  My gut is saying juvie...perhaps even the small juvie...but I just can't be sure...

If it is...Hi Cinnamon!

anneintoronto
« Reply #1048 on: 30-Jun-11, 06:59:01 PM »

I was down at the Sheraton site from 1:15 until just before 4pm today.  I went up to the top of the Sheraton Centre several times, wandered all around the area down below and saw one adult, sitting on 130 Adelaide Street.  Had lunch with Zoe in the courtyard and we kept our eyes to the skies.  We saw nothing!  That was it!  It's been a beautiful day -- light breezes, sunny, just totally pleasant.  Just figured that the peregrines are more likely to fly around, be out and about, earlier in the morning, nearer to dusk.

Then, at 6pm, I got a call from Linda Woods.  Apparently Kate had a brush with a building about 2pm and ended up on a sidewalk on University Avenue just west from the Sheraton!!  No one was more surprised than me!  It turns out that Linda dashed to the scene, didn't have her radio, so didn't contact either Zoe or me, dealt with the immediate problem herself, was met by Mark Nash, who examined Kate, pronounced her in good shape and put her back on the nest ledge.  I'm sure there will be a fuller report from Linda soon.  I was just totally relieved that Kate hadn't hurt herself!!  And will get her second chance...

Anne in Toronto
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: 30-Jun-11, 07:02:44 PM »

I was down at the Sheraton site from 1:15 until just before 4pm today.  I went up to the top of the Sheraton Centre several times, wandered all around the area down below and saw one adult, sitting on 130 Adelaide Street.  Had lunch with Zoe in the courtyard and we kept our eyes to the skies.  We saw nothing!  That was it!  It's been a beautiful day -- light breezes, sunny, just totally pleasant.  Just figured that the peregrines are more likely to fly around, be out and about, earlier in the morning, nearer to dusk.

Then, at 6pm, I got a call from Linda Woods.  Apparently Kate had a brush with a building about 2pm and ended up on a sidewalk on University Avenue just west from the Sheraton!!  No one was more surprised than me!  It turns out that Linda dashed to the scene, didn't have her radio, so didn't contact either Zoe or me, dealt with the immediate problem herself, was met by Mark Nash, who examined Kate, pronounced her in good shape and put her back on the nest ledge.  I'm sure there will be a fuller report from Linda soon.  I was just totally relieved that Kate hadn't hurt herself!!  And will get her second chance...

Anne in Toronto

Glad Kate is OK...I wonder if that's her up there now?  She moved down a bay so I can't see her on the Osler cam now...

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: