THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 11:33:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1416555 times)
anneintoronto
« Reply #1095 on: 13-Jul-11, 01:18:20 PM »

I went down to Rhea Mae & Tiago's neighbourhood again today to have lunch with Zoe, a fellow fledge watcher and now a new friend.  We were in the little courtyard across the street, below the Sheraton Hotel, a good place for watching for peregrines, but I/we saw zip!  I guess it was way too hot and humid for the RM/T family and they were all hiding in the shade...hopefully closer to the lake, where it is always cooler!

After Zoe returned to work, I walked over to 18 King Street East, another downtown Toronto peregrine site to the east.  It's not very far and I walked through that small but wonderful Cloud Gardens on my way.  It was so cool in there under the abundant trees, with the luscious foliage.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Gardens ]

I stayed for a while, before I trundled on.  At King E. I saw one beautifully white breasted adult on the south end of the nest site ledge and one juvie, a little smaller and tawny in colour, at the opposite end.  Both very still, in the shade, trying to keep cool, I presume.  While wandering around, looking for the other juvie and adult, I heard a demanding kakking, but couldn't locate the source, with the moderately tall buildings around...  Bet someone wanted some food!  But, although I couldn't see the peregrine responsible, it was great to hear!!

Anne in Toronto

I think this was asked but I'm asking again. What is the distance from Sheraton and King St? I can't believe 2 nests that close and no one enters each others air space? Look at B and U, 5 miles apart!!

The two peregrine home base sites are 5 long city blocks apart, the King Street East site being east and a bit south of the Sheraton one.  The Scotia Bank Tower seems to be the central boundary marker.  King E. peregrines stay east and south/north of it, the Sheraton ones west and south/north.  Apparently, this boundary is well established and obviously makes sense to them.  These instincts seem to be strongly passed on.  But also, remember that Windwhistler successfully sired and tended to both sites as the sole male, for years!  The boundaries obviously meant something different to him alone!  Nature is, as far as I'm concerned, truly amazing!! 

Anne in Toronto
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: 13-Jul-11, 04:31:33 PM »

!!! Cinnamon back on the nest ledge!
July 13, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Linda Woods Reports:

A quick spot check this morning around 11:30a.m., One adult on the north east corner of the Hilton Hotel, one juvenile on the inner penthouse area of 150 York St. and a quick look on the nest ledge and IT”S CINNAMON! He made his way back on his own! Good to see him, he is a small little male and is still as cute as ever.  Did not see the third, probably Sunshine, who I assume is off on her own until dinner.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: 13-Jul-11, 06:06:29 PM »

wave Thank you to Carly and Linda our Canadian falcon friends!  foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: 13-Jul-11, 06:56:15 PM »

Oh he is doing so well for a pip-squeak!! Go Cinnamon!!

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: 13-Jul-11, 09:06:08 PM »

!!! Cinnamon back on the nest ledge!
July 13, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Linda Woods Reports:

A quick spot check this morning around 11:30a.m., One adult on the north east corner of the Hilton Hotel, one juvenile on the inner penthouse area of 150 York St. and a quick look on the nest ledge and IT”S CINNAMON! He made his way back on his own! Good to see him, he is a small little male and is still as cute as ever.  Did not see the third, probably Sunshine, who I assume is off on her own until dinner.

Good to see report on little Cinna-mon.  There are so many falcons to keep track of in Toronto -- and so many of them have roots here in Rochester.   It  is fun, but gets mind-boggling at times    happy
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1100 on: 13-Jul-11, 09:34:18 PM »

I agree about Rochester offspring in Toronto.  And then there are the other falcons in Toronto. Like I am ???

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: 13-Jul-11, 10:26:08 PM »

Bonnie  - are you in Toronto?  Or in NY area?     
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: 14-Jul-11, 12:09:25 AM »

I wish you all to know what cinnamon has alw wub2 ays said--size doesnt count--thank you very much
« Last Edit: 14-Jul-11, 06:33:15 AM by Shaky » Logged
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1103 on: 14-Jul-11, 09:33:34 AM »

Bonnie  - are you in Toronto?  Or in NY area?     

NY. And I have to keep track of all them here.  We are pretty sure our Jersey City male from 2009 is the male at a new site not far from JC. He was with a first year female this spring.  The site is off limits to everyone and very safe.  We have our fingers crossed that it is Bro.

I have to pick and choose where to go watch.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
anneintoronto
« Reply #1104 on: 14-Jul-11, 07:26:37 PM »

Went for a long walk today and passed through Sheraton peregrine territory.  Saw three peregrines way, way overhead, soaring around, chasing each other, doing stoops, apparently just having fun while learning!  They were too far away to identify, but feel like they were Sunshine, Kate and Cinnamon!  Definitely the right sizes!!  It was wonderful to watch!!

Anne in Toronto
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: 14-Jul-11, 08:57:42 PM »

Went for a long walk today and passed through Sheraton peregrine territory.  Saw three peregrines way, way overhead, soaring around, chasing each other, doing stoops, apparently just having fun while learning!  They were too far away to identify, but feel like they were Sunshine, Kate and Cinnamon!  Definitely the right sizes!!  It was wonderful to watch!!

Anne in Toronto

clap so happy for them!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: 15-Jul-11, 08:20:02 PM »

!!! Empty nest syndrome for many!!
July 15, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:
July 15th - 2011

Despite the fact that the ‘kids” are no longer utilizing the nest ledge much these days, the resident adults are still calling it home. If you can catch the camera and the nest ledge just at the right time , you will see one or both of the adults still on the nest ledge throughout the day and night. You just may even be able to catch the juveniles on the nest ledge via the camera. They are foxy and quick,, but still checking the nest ledge for food that mom and dad have left behind!

The fledglings are all over the place these days with many new reports of peregrines on their ledges, outside of their windows, but it’s difficult to get band numbers as they are moving around so much, and as two people have alrady told us - “by the time we realized what we were seeing, frozen in amazement, run for the camera phone and return, they had gone to another window ledge,, Damn” !!!!

One lady writes, “I’ve got to stop spending so much working, and more time watching”!! Oops, don’t tell by boss I said that!!!

Another fellow writes,, “Work is really making my peregrine watching difficult”! Can you get them to come back to the nest ledge so I can watch them on my computer when I’m working! I really miss watching the youngsters!! My days have become very boring again!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: 18-Jul-11, 02:54:25 PM »

!!! Kate had been rescued again, this time from a park bench in downtown Toronto!
July 18, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Mark Nash Reports:
Sunday July 17th - 2011

A quickly update. We received news that little Kate from the downtown Sheraton hotel nest site has once again been rescued (or should I say simply picked up) at street level, this time from a downtown park bench by Toronto animal services.

While the initial reports would indicate that she does not seem to be injured at all, this is quite odd,, (and the second time that she has simply come to the ground and been able to be retrieved without a scuffle).

Kate is far too complacent about the situation, and further examination is necessary!
She has been taken to the Toronto Wildlife Centre for further evaluation and we will report on her status as soon as she is further examined more carefully.

Stay tuned…….

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: 18-Jul-11, 02:58:55 PM »

Oh no, poor Kate. Hope she gets a clean (beak) of health! Thanks Carly!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: 18-Jul-11, 03:12:06 PM »

Oh no, poor Kate. Hope she gets a clean (beak) of health! Thanks Carly!

Poor Kate. Hope she's OK.

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: