THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1409675 times)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: 26-Jul-11, 01:16:34 AM »

!!! Some sad news about Kate just in this morning!
July 25, 2011 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Monday July 25th - 2011 - 11AM

We have only just received some bad news from Toronto Wildlife this morning regarding little Kate from the Toronto Sheraton nest site. In a telephone call this received this morning, we are told that Kate passed away early Saturday morning in her sleep.

While the results of the blood work that was done for blood parasites came back negative and the serious of chest x-rays didn’t show any real clear evidence of Aspergillosis,, Aspergillosis is highly suspect given her condition. She was very much underweight and simply had no energy or fire as we say. The young birds are especially vulnerable as they have yet to develop strong immune systems to fight off all of the usual nasty ailments they are exposed to while they are still growing and developing.

To explain Aspergillus in short:
Aspergillosis is a respiratory disease of birds caused by the fungus Aspergillus, which is found almost everywhere in the environment.
A. fumigatus is the most common species of the fungus to cause disease, although A. flavus, A. niger, and others can also cause problems. Aspergillus grows readily in warm and moist environments. The microscopic spores of the fungus become airborne, poor ventilation, poor sanitation, dusty conditions, and close confinement increase the chance the spores will be inhaled.

Usually, the fungus does not cause disease, however, if a bird does not have a healthy immune system, it can cause illness. Predisposing factors include other illnesses, stress, poor nutrition, poor husbandry or unsanitary conditions, another injury to the respiratory system (e.g.; airborne pollutants).

The combination of the number of spores in the environment and the presence of predisposing factors determine which birds are most at risk of disease.

Aspergillus is everywhere; it grows on everywhere, including on living tissue. Every speck of dust and dirt has spores of at least one species of Aspergillus. A bird does not usually succumb to the disease when it has a strong immune system. Over time it has built up antibodies strong enough to wage a proper war against the spores. But, a weakened immune system or ingestion of a huge amount of spores is what causes this disease. Every animal with lungs breathes in thousands of Aspergillus spores every day.

The spores cannot grow in the lungs of a healthy body, but a diseased lung can easily become a host. Aspergillosis can consume a bird with a weakened immune system. Poor nutrition, another illness, anxiety, loneliness, old age, unsanitary conditions or disturbed soil can also bring on this illness. A constant and gradual exposure can create a chronic (long term) infection and the causes are all too commonly found in places you would never expect.

Given the hot dry conditions we’re been having, this is an ideal environment for the airborne spores to spread around in the dry air.

We are truly saddened to receive this news this morning, and it’s very nice to see that little Cinnamon (another one of the Toronto Sheraton juveniles that we believed might not have made it given his small size and underdevelopment) that he is going strong today!!

This is very very sad. Poor Kate, I'm so sorry RM and Tiago. They do have 2 healthy ones out there, little Cinnimini and Sunshine.

Poor, poor   Kate.  And little William, who went before her.  I hope this does not portend  anything for the royals in the UK.

I do  mourn the passing of Kate -- of whom I had a bad feeling after her last "to ground" the other day. So sad.   Fly free, little Kate. 

I am sad tonight.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: 26-Jul-11, 03:49:36 AM »

Sad
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: 26-Jul-11, 07:13:17 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

I can't help but wonder if they somehow know we're sad and need to see them.  I logically know they can't really know we can see them, but still...haven't seen a juvie on the ledge in weeks and here they are...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: 26-Jul-11, 07:47:19 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

I can't help but wonder if they somehow know we're sad and need to see them.  I logically know they can't really know we can see them, but still...haven't seen a juvie on the ledge in weeks and here they are...

wave  It's called divine intervention Ei!   Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: 26-Jul-11, 07:52:55 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

And boy, do we ever need more of that this year! Could not believe it when I read that wee Kate was gone too. Poor things! So much hope shattered.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: 26-Jul-11, 08:11:23 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

And boy, do we ever need more of that this year! Could not believe it when I read that wee Kate was gone too. Poor things! So much hope shattered.

wave  You got that right Bobbie!  yes

-John Burroughs
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: 26-Jul-11, 10:40:52 AM »

It is very sad  crying  I guess at least she passed away quietly in her sleep, and will now fly free with William and all the others  Cry
Suzanne
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: 26-Jul-11, 11:14:17 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

And now Cinnamon...there surely is more to it than happenstance!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: 26-Jul-11, 11:21:19 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

Yepper!  yes

-John Burroughs
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: 26-Jul-11, 11:39:18 AM »

Member Siobhan Ruck wrote after a loss in San Francisco in 2009, "Hi's life may have been brief, but every single minute of it was spent as a peregrine falcon. You can't do much better than that..."

Paul
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: 26-Jul-11, 11:42:16 AM »

Member Siobhan Ruck wrote after a loss in San Francisco in 2009, "Hi's life may have been brief, but every single minute of it was spent as a peregrine falcon. You can't do much better than that..."

Paul

clap

-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: 26-Jul-11, 12:29:36 PM »

Paul

clap

I miss Siobhan!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: 26-Jul-11, 04:47:02 PM »

Paul

falcon2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: 26-Jul-11, 05:58:48 PM »

Paul

Beautifully said.

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: 27-Jul-11, 01:28:14 AM »

Looks like Sunshine.

Never doubt birds.  They knew we were feeling the loss of Kate and William before her. 

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: