THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:34:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syracuse Falcons  (Read 142451 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 06-Jan-16, 08:11:46 PM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 13-Jan-16, 10:56:27 PM »

Glad to hear that Pigott is around. Wish the cams were active . . .
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 14-Jan-16, 06:15:23 AM »

They are trying so hard to get funding for a new cam, just not sure how to go about it. They are working on it.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 14-Jan-16, 09:42:33 AM »

The cams were knocked out and destroyed by a storm last year and it's estimated the cost to replace will be in the $4000 range.  They don't have any fund raisers like we do so now they're trying to figure out how to raise the money.  Hopefully they can find a way to get the money to replace it. 

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 14-Jan-16, 11:37:16 AM »

The cams were knocked out and destroyed by a storm last year and it's estimated the cost to replace will be in the $4000 range.  They don't have any fund raisers like we do so now they're trying to figure out how to raise the money.  Hopefully they can find a way to get the money to replace it. 

Kris, you must be psychic. I was just about about to ask these questions. The only news I see on the Syracuse nest site is on this forum.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 14-Jan-16, 12:06:32 PM »

Kris, you must be psychic. I was just about about to ask these questions. The only news I see on the Syracuse nest site is on this forum.

There is a Facebook page for them...that's where we get our info from. When Suzanne & Don from Ithaca visit there they do post here.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 27-Jan-16, 09:32:57 AM »

Uh oh..just read this on FB..

Syracuse, N.Y. — A well known local development company plans to buy the 21-story State Tower Building, the tallest building in Syracuse since it opened in 1927, and transform its top 13 floors into apartments.

Pioneer Cos. has reached an agreement to buy the tower from Tony Fiorito for $5.4 million and spend $22.15 million to convert office space on floors 9 through 21 into 59 market-rate studio and one- and two-bedroom apartments. Floors 1 through 8 will remain office and retail space.

Fiorito put the 89-year-old building up for sale early last year.

The purchase is expected to close by late March. Mark Roney, Pioneer's chief financial officer, said the work will take 12 to 14 months. Monthly rents will range from about $750 to $1,900, he said.

The building is the latest of many downtown Syracuse commercial buildings to be converted into a mix of office, retail and residential space. Driving the trend is a combination of two things — a weakness in demand for office space and growing demand for downtown living space among empty nesters and young, urban professionals affiliated with the hospitals and schools on nearby University Hill.

Only about 45 percent of the State Tower Building's office space is occupied.

Melissa Zell, Pioneer's chief operating officer, said the renovations will include significant interior and exterior work, including the replacement of about 600 of the building's approximately 900 windows.

Opened in 1927 at 109 S. Warren St., the building stands 311 feet tall. The next tallest buildings in the city are the two AXA Towers, which stand 268 feet tall, according to the building data collection firm Emporis.

Aspects of the State Tower Building's design give it the appearance of being even taller than it is. The building's top 11 floors are set back and smaller than the first 10 floors, and its brick facade gets gradually lighter in color as the building rises.

The building is also known for a nest of peregrine falcons that have made a home on its roof. Zell said Pioneer will try not to disturb the falcons during the renovations.

Pioneer has applied to the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency for tax exemptions. If approved, the company would save up to $669,905 in sales taxes on construction materials and $150,000 in mortgage recording taxes. The agency will hold a public hearing March 8 before voting on the exemptions.

Pioneer's roots date back to the 1960s when its founder, Michael J. Falcone, began building shopping centers and apartment buildings throughout Central New York. Over the past 40 years, the principals of the company have built over 20 million square feet of real estate projects with a value exceeding $1.5 billion, according to the company's website.

Its local projects include the Washington Station and 250 Clinton Street office buildings in downtown Syracuse, and Pioneer Business Park in DeWitt, home to Time Warner Cable's Central New York headquarters.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 27-Jan-16, 09:39:16 AM »

Poor girl, she finally finds a home and a mate and now she's due for more disturbances  Sad
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 27-Jan-16, 10:31:50 AM »

pfalcon I know better than to project human attributes onto a bird, but I just can't help myself. I have always admired Pigott for her intelligent and sensible behavior. She left her Rochester relationship where she was the "second female out" and found herself a new home and mate in Syracuse.  Hopefully the two of them will cope with the building project or find another more suitable nesting location nearby. Go Pigott !!!!!

Dot in PA
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 03-Feb-16, 04:00:55 PM »

I feel bad for Pigott and George. Just when they had found a suitable nest site and had raised chicks. I hope the renovations will not cause a disturbance for them, but I suppose it depends on how extensive these renovations are going to be. Is there any other suitable location for a nest box somewhere in the area?

As far as I know, peregrines are still considered endangered in New York State. Unless this has changed, they had not been downlisted or delisted because "the population was not considered to be stable enough".
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 23-Feb-16, 06:29:44 PM »

I saw George preening and chilling out across from the State Tower Building. I have spotted them off and on for the past couple of weeks hanging out there, the university building, the nest box (mornings) Bank of America building (former Syracuse Bank). I'll try to post a photo or 2 of George ("feather face")

John Anthony DeNicola‎

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 21-Mar-16, 06:25:04 PM »

Alright everyone, as of 5pm today I am no longer employeed by the building. I am now able to update everyone as to what I know.
The birds have nested and likely have eggs. They have been back and forth with food and pigott has stayed inside the nest box for the last few days. I maybe wrong but there is no way to tell.
We were unable to get the cameras on due to the impending sale of the building.
The new owners will be renovating the exterior of the building and had originally tried to have them relocated at their cost was my understanding.
The nest box will most likely be moved next season and whether or not the birds will relocate is up to them, its my understanding they may nest in the same location nest box or not.
I am very excited to hear updates from everyone as I wont be close enough to spare time with the two birds.
I am 100% certain the DEC is involved in this entire process and will let no harm come of the birds.
Good luck pigott and george.

Michael Hollenberger FB

as per Joyce's Tweet

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 21-Mar-16, 07:14:50 PM »

Feel bad for Pigott and George.

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 21-Mar-16, 07:20:09 PM »

Darnit, our poor Pigott can't catch a break.  She finally finds a home and now they want to move her  hyper
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 21-Mar-16, 09:08:27 PM »

Miss Pigott and her mate will do well wherever they end up because she is an exceptional Peregrine falcon and knows how to make a home anywhere. This I am sure of. ❤

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: