THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 03:55:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new book on the peregrine recovery effort  (Read 8007 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« on: 18-Apr-16, 10:36:08 AM »

There was just an interview on my local public radio station with the author of a new book on the peregrine (and bald eagle) recovery effort in NY. They usually post a podcast link later in the day. I'll post that link when it shows up.

I'm putting it in the Rochester history section since Rochester was one of the original peregrine recovery hack sites. They mentioned Rochester several times as well as a "young, untested biologist" whose name should be familiar to us all.

http://www.tinyurl.com/j36lo7d

In the late 1970s, the bald eagle and the peregrine falcon were heading toward extinction, victims of the combined threats of DDT, habitat loss, and lax regulation. Flight Paths tells the story of how a small group of New York biologists raced against nature’s clock to bring these two beloved birds back from the brink in record-setting numbers.

McGrath documents both rescue projects in never-before-published detail. At Cornell University, a team of scientists worked to crack the problem of how to breed peregrine falcons in captivity and then restore them to the wild. Meanwhile, two young, untested biologists tackled the overwhelming assignment of rebuilding the bald eagle population from the state’s last nesting pair, one of whom (the female) was sterile.

Darryl McGrath is a journalist who has written about upstate New York’s environment and rural regions for over twenty years.

Darryl McGrath will be speaking before the Women’s Club of Albany on Wednesday night at 7PM.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Apr-16, 11:16:52 AM »

Okay, I give up.  Who was the "young, untested biologist?"

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Apr-16, 11:38:16 AM »

Mike Allen?

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Apr-16, 11:52:47 AM »

Mike Allen?

Yup!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-Apr-16, 11:55:30 AM »

clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-Apr-16, 12:46:04 PM »

During some recent fledging season (not sure if it was last year or the year before) I was by myself on the pedestrian bridge at High Falls when I met a man who told me that he had been part of the original Cornell team that worked on the recovery effort for peregrines.  He didn't tell me his name.  Perhaps it was Mike Allen. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-Apr-16, 02:12:09 PM »

The interview podcast is now available...same link http://www.tinyurl.com/j36lo7d ...the player is under the picture.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-Apr-16, 02:13:36 PM »

During some recent fledging season (not sure if it was last year or the year before) I was by myself on the pedestrian bridge at High Falls when I met a man who told me that he had been part of the original Cornell team that worked on the recovery effort for peregrines.  He didn't tell me his name.  Perhaps it was Mike Allen. 

I would guess probably someone else. I would think Mike would ask after the rest of the watchers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: