THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 09:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009512 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 10-May-10, 09:58:58 PM »

Falcons back, with chicks

Peregrine young seen Saturday at bridge

Peregrine falcon couple Freddie and Voltaire are back nesting under the Ambassador Bridge and have two chicks this year.

The young appeared May 1 and the Windsor Peregrine Watch Team is already looking for volunteers to train to monitor the nest especially when the young get ready for a first flight in June.

Eighty per cent of peregrine falcon chicks don't survive and the team is hoping people will keep their distance or be trained at a May 16 workshop to help protect the fledglings when they are ready to fly.

"All we want to do is improve their odds," Windsor Peregrine Watch Team site co-ordinator Dennis Patrick said Friday.

It's the second year the peregrine falcons at the bridge have produced young. Last year one chick died and the other got injured, rescued and then disappeared. It's not clear what happened to that bird, but the adult peregrine falcons stayed in Windsor during the winter.

This year Patrick is asking people to keep their distance from the threatened species or train to be part of the watch team that is affiliated with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation. The training workshop is being held Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Walker Road Superstore in the community room. Patrick said volunteers will work shifts to monitor the birds and will learn how to protect the peregrines during the mid June period when the fledglings attempt their first flights. Patrick said the team will have a protocol mandated by the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and will only intervene if the young are in imminent danger.

The team hopes to train 20 to 25 volunteers for three-hour shifts during mid-June. He's asking people who aren't volunteers to respect the species at risk and the property at the bridge and the University of Windsor. Anyone whose presence is not in the best interest of the birds could be asked to leave, he said.

"If they could just understand, this is a National Geographic special right above our heads. We're seeing a bird make a comeback in an area where it was extinct," Patrick said of the importance of a successful nest.

Windsor is lucky to have a peregrine falcon nest since the cliff dwellers usually prefer a higher ledge on a skyscraper when in urban areas. And in flat Windsor, the Ambassador Bridge nest could be the first peregrine falcon nest ever in the area, said Marion Nash, vice-president of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.

She said there are 88 nests in Ontario with most in northern Ontario. In the bird's comeback, "every single nest site is important," Nash said.

She said people interested in following peregrines can do so on the foundation's website at www.peregrine-foundation.ca. She said too many gawkers can stress out the birds and since the peregrine falcons are territorial, it could be dangerous.

"Imagine a missile coming at you at 260 km/h," she said of the peregrine falcon's speedy dive.

When trained volunteers monitor nests, the 60 to 80 per cent mortality rate is reduced to 20 per cent, she said.

Peregrine populations declined around the world after the Second World War and the pesticide DDT was blamed. There were an estimated 100 pairs of breeding peregrine falcons in Ontario before the 1950s, Nash said. Most were in northern Ontario. That dropped to zero by the 1970s and 1980s, Nash said.

Without release programs, the peregrine falcon could be extinct, she said.

To attend the training workshop and volunteer during two weeks in mid-June, email windsorperegrinewatch@yahoo.ca.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 10-May-10, 10:29:58 PM »

The fighting started at Toronto Residential at 6 pm last night and continued this morning.  Jack has a slight chest wound but is still flying and in control of his territory last I heard a half hour ago although no falcons are now being sighted over there anywhere.  I checked here several times and he has not come back here to check on Angel or the nest as of yet.  

I have done a small update on the CPF site just now.  I expect this will be like it was with Mariah and be prolonged over a few days until one of them wins or gives in?  Mathew also has some updates on TR site this morning.

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

Another blip in today's events....I guess we all knew Milton would come back and a fight would occur. One has to go but which? The cam is down also. I just don't know.

Check out the Milton's release video and also the release of a juvie named Nemo!  Nemo's is adorable-- he wasn't ready to fly at first!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 10-May-10, 11:00:17 PM »

Check out the Milton's release video and also the release of a juvie named Nemo!  Nemo's is adorable-- he wasn't ready to fly at first!

I watched the videos this morning jeanne....he is so cute and a big boy. I feel sorry for Milton, has anyone heard anything today about him and Jack?

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 10-May-10, 11:02:15 PM »

!!! Three eggs have now hatched, one left to go!
May 10, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Guylaine Drolet Reports:

Hi All,

As of today - (Monday May 10th) , 3 eggs have hatched now at MEC. We saw one of the adults feeding all 3 hatchlings late morning. Only one egg left to hatch.
They looked very alert, all little beaks wide open asking for food.
Take care,

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 10-May-10, 11:03:58 PM »

!!! First Hatch at MEC!
May 09, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Guylaine Drolet Reports:

Hi Guys,
Had a bit of a scare today, dad was sitting on eggs and the first hatchling. The little one was being very agitated, dad pick it up from the neck and took it across the nest box, dragging it around. I thought that he was going to kill the baby, I think that dad may have gotten a bit confused and may have thought that it was prey. Anyway, after he poked at it a few times and stepped on it too, he finally dragged it back where the eggs were and after a while, things settled down. VERY SCARY to see.. Big Frank and Loriann also saw this incident.  scared blue
Take care,
GfD

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 10-May-10, 11:04:34 PM »

1+1=2 plus 1 equals 3!
-
Sarah Washington Reports:

WOW! Hamilton now has 3 beautiful chicks at the Sheraton Hotel! We are still waiting for one more to hatch, but that should not be long.

They look so small, and fuzzy…as always though….the do not stay that way for long.

Stay tuned!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 11-May-10, 12:02:42 AM »

Check out the Milton's release video and also the release of a juvie named Nemo!  Nemo's is adorable-- he wasn't ready to fly at first!

I watched the videos this morning jeanne....he is so cute and a big boy. I feel sorry for Milton, has anyone heard anything today about him and Jack?

I checked the site and there were no updates.  Milton is really beautiful and Nemo is just precious!  I think Milton should find Mariah and make babies

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 11-May-10, 06:14:12 AM »

I checked the site and there were no updates.  Milton is really beautiful and Nemo is just precious!  I think Milton should find Mariah and make babies

Yes   clap thumbsup 

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 11-May-10, 06:58:28 PM »

I checked the site and there were no updates.  Milton is really beautiful and Nemo is just precious!  I think Milton should find Mariah and make babies

Yes   clap thumbsup 
oh Yes totally agree  2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 11-May-10, 10:32:55 PM »

Speaking of Madame X and Surge:

Last but not least…
-
Sarah Washington Reports:

As of yesterday the Hamilton Nest Site counted 4 fuzzy chicks! Madame X and Surge have been busy feeding and keeping the family warm during the cooler temperatures.

Lots of work ahead!

Get ready for round 2 Mr. ledge sitter! Maybe another video also!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 11-May-10, 10:39:40 PM »

!!! Looks like an empty nest!
April 09, 2010 - Niagara Falls Posted May 11
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Once again with a huge thank you to our friends at the New York DEC, we have received some great shots taken from the US side of the gorge of the old nest site at the decommissioned OPG generating station. It is quite obvious by the photos sent in to us that we have just received that were taken around the second week of April that the old nest site is void of any peregrine activity. Despite the various reports that been streaming in of peregrines being observed in the gorge again this year, it appears that they are not currently nesting at this nest site. With thanks to Roger and Connie for the photos and all of their hard work gathering observations. The search continues.

I love this nest, something about it.

!!! Adults still on territory, but are they nesting?
May 09, 2010 - Niagara Falls Posted May 11
CPF Postmaster Reports:

A big thank you to Rebecca for sending in these great shots of the two peregrines at the Niagara falls gorge that were taken on May 9th of this year. While the search continues to try and identify a possible nest site, (and to identify the birds themselves), it appears that the elusive pair are still very much around and have been quite active. Observation reports of the birds activity have been streaming in from both sides of the border in recent weeks, but the mystery continues with regards to any nesting activity and the birds identity. While both of the birds still remain unidentified at this point, we do have a partial band number and band colour of the female given Rebecca’s photo that indicates that the she dawns a Black over Red colour marker band having a lower alpha digit of H. The USFW band number appears to a coloured band instead of the typical silver coloured band. The photo of the male in flight that shows one of its legs, appears to be unbanded.
The mystery continues………..

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 13-May-10, 02:42:51 PM »

!!! Etobicoke Update
May 12, 2010 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Apologies for taking so long to give an update after Monday’s post!  Everything seems to be back to normal today and all is quiet.

Monday afternoon after my last report of the TR Male attempting to regain his site on Monday morning and Jack being wounded, they did both end up at our site on Monday afternoon.  It was more like Jack chasing poor Milton out of the other territory and they spilled into ours.  At one point Mom even joined in to help them along as she was quite agitated, jumping in and out of the nestbox and alarm calling. 

Interestingly, Milton returned here as Jack went back to the territory they were fighting over and he stayed here for the evening while Jack remained over there.  Milton tried to make friends with mom at one point but she wasn’t having any of it!  She came out of the nestbox a few times and chased him off and despite the fact she could have hurt him..she didnt’.  He didn’t seem injured, a bit roughed up no doubt but was flying quite well and spent most of his time here preening and fixing his feathers Smiley   He spent the night on one of the buildings nearby and was gone by the next morning so I expect he’s moved on…we hope for his sake anyway at least until Jack’s hormones stop raging!

Jack seemed to be more aggressive which makes sense as he has chicks/eggs at two sites whereas Milton seemd to be more confused about the entire situation and didn’t seem to be interested in a prolonged or fatal battle though he gave Jack a nice parting shot to remember him by.  What was really curious was that Jack didn’t seem to know that he was here at our site for several hours. 

Yesterday Jack was a bit more calm but he was still on alert and was only sighted here once however today he’s back to his usual routine and mom has had two breaks..I saw food come off the ledge so all is good.

Frank went up to the condo rooftop yesterday to see if he could see what was going on in the nestbox but given the cold, windy weather..Mom was not budging.  She didn’t blink, glared at him but she would not show him what she was hiding.  You can see in the nestbox that she was certainly sitting in a posture indicating she is definitely hiding something but until we see white fluffies…we’re not going to call it.  We will make another attempt next week if Spring ever decides to revisit us.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 14-May-10, 10:18:29 AM »

Private Residential update

star  May 13, 2010 - No idea on anything

I wish I had a more precise update but the reality is I don't know what's going on. Let me summarize all the things I don't know:

- We may, or may not have eggs on site (I believe we may)
- There may, or may not have been a hatch here (I haven't seen food deliveries so I suspect not)
- Milton has not been seen since Monday evening, and was last seen at Bloor/Islington
- The last observation of Milton involved a reference to him resembling a feather duster (ie. frazzled)
- Milton is in a molting phase which explains part of his appearance
- Jack is tending to both our nest and the Bloor/Islington nest, and on guard for intruders/Milton

A few weeks ago, based on what I knew at the time, I prepared a forecast of the nesting season. This was based on when I believed incubation had begun, and was guesswork at best.

I cannot visually confirm anything, but it does appear that my original estimate for a hatch has now passed. This may mean there are young up there, it may mean incubation started later than I thought, or, since I haven't visually confirmed the presense of any eggs, it could mean Jack and Mom are playing house with an empty nest.

This update couldn't be more ambiguous. Welcome to the world of blind nest monitoring, it's fun for the whole family! Until something changes this is all I know.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 14-May-10, 01:39:50 PM »

3 Eyases at Etobicoke Bloor Islington confirmed by Frank just now!!  HE was dive bombed by both Jack and Angel, more details later!!

bguitar mbanana clap
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 14-May-10, 10:16:47 PM »

And just when you thought you'd seen it all...TR Mom has been seen flying with her former mate while Jack babysits their chicks!  Only in Toronto I tell ya!!  rofl

And here is Franks video from today of his visit up to see Angel, Jack and the new kids on the block!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2vteasz&s=5
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: