THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:53:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009670 times)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: 25-Jun-11, 09:02:29 PM »

scared blue Holy flying fledgling falcon! Mom should have told this little one not to play in traffic!  gum

Reminds me of Susan B...this link is to Lou's album from July 7 2008...pictures 17-24...

http://tinyurl.com/5uwab36

lurker  Sure wish I hadn't been a lurker that my first year. Would love to have seen those last 5 offspring of M&K flying through the gorge!  foxbinocs

I hear you, MAK. I had followed M and K for a long time on the webcam but never got downtown, but  I did get down to the gorge once in 2008 to chase the fledglings.  I remember meeting Brian and Dana and Lou and Jim I think...on the bridge.  They were so kind.  I will never forget seeing and hearing the fledglings and we ran around following and tracking the juvies .  And then last year I only got downtown two or three tims,  but my first was the evening that  Callidora decided to follow Jemison .  I think Callidora spend the night on the Wilder Building.  So I love to read your reports!   
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 28-Jun-11, 06:17:33 AM »

!!! Flying, YAHOO!!!!!
June 27, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

I know it has been a few days since we posted anything but when you have two kids to look after well need I say more? It has been a busy and sometimes very stressful past three days. We had to rescue Lady Gaga twice and put her up on to the roof across the street and then she just flew without any problems at all. Spitfire came down on the ground and walked up the steps across the street and decided that’s where he was going to stay until he could see Lady Gaga and then he thought I want to be up there as well. He didn’t quite make it so he came down on the ground and then by late evening we put him on the roof as well. That lasted about 10 minutes or so and he flew back towards the nest but landed on the abudment of the Bridge. Where he spent the night. Thank You to Susan & John, Bess, Collette, Ted, Mark and Marilyn for being such good Watchers this weekend. Also, the Bridge Company if it were’t for all of you Lady Gaga and Spitfire would not be such good flyers right now. Kim came with the lift truck three times, twice for Lady Gaga and once for Spitfire. Dennis and I cannot Thank all of you enough.
Gwen & Dennis
Site Co-ordinators for CPF

Gee, imagine if we had NO watchers??

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 30-Jun-11, 06:45:12 PM »

!!! Jupiter
June 30, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Today I recieved a call from Mark Nash, who had himself received a call from building security informing him that one of the juveniles was down on the low rooftops, was panting and not in very good shape.

By the time I got to her she was already gone.  I knew when I saw the yellow tape on her band that it was our sweet Jupiter, our super star flyer and upstart that knocked mom of her perch with such bold confidence.

She was found directly under the glass on the roof towards the back  of the roof.    Her condition, her position and her rapid decline are consistent with the explanation Mark had given us of how devestating an impact is for them.   I will leave the expert opinion to Mark to confirm what we found.

What is especially tragic about Jupiter’s loss is that she did everything right, she flew well, she stayed high.  She came down low once but it wasn’t a crash landing, she was just in a place that was accessible by humans and other predators so we couldn’t risk leaving her there until she made her own way back up like her brothers did.  Unfortunately no one told her about how deceptive those strange glass panels that reflect the blue sky and the clouds are.

I would like to say thank you to Sunlife Buiding Security team, they were wonderful to me today and are always looking out for our family.  And a special thank you to the United Church member that kindly called to inform them that one of the kids was down on the roof and in trouble.  Your thoughfulness is appreciated.

To my beautiful Jupiter - I consider myself honored to have known you and to have felt the downy softness of your feathers.
Posted on June 30, 2011 4:58 pm
Observation for Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

crying  Fly free sweet Jupiter!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 30-Jun-11, 06:47:14 PM »

!!! Lady Gaga and Spitfire doing great!!!!!
June 30, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

We stopped by the Bridge again this morning and Ted had been there since 5:45 A.M. He reports that he has seen a big difference in the two chicks since he started to watch this week. While we were there, one of them did a great flight display. If you have nothing to do those Peregrines are a wonderful sight. All you need is patience and a pair of binoculars. They could be hanging around anywhere near the bridge and doing wonderful flight displays.
Gwen & Dennis Site Co-ordinators CPF

From the Last Few Days
June 30, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I got to the Lift Bridge last evening (6/29/11) around 5:30.  We searched in all the usual spots, but with no luck.  Finally around 6:15 Bill spotted one juvenile tucked under the Skyway Bridge on one of the beams.  She had her back to us so we were unable to see who it was.  We never did find the other Juvenile.  There was no movement whatsoever, so we decided to head for home around 6:45.  I guess we should have waited a little longer because:

Paul Reynolds reports the following after his arrival between 6:45 and 7:00:

Hi Sue, I’ve been to the pier a number of times, watching the kids play.  Tonight (6/29/11) I saw Lady Nelson hunting in the trees across the canal on the Burlington side.   Lady Lamont came from behind carrying a pigeon about ten feet off the water.  She landed over in the boat launch area in the middle of the grass.  I left to go fishing then on the way back to the car I noticed Lady Lamont was up the Hamilton Hydro tower finishing off her meal.  As I drove out the two of them were flying together around the same Hydro tower.

Back to Monday (6/27/11) evening, both birds were sitting on the top rail of the bridge, and it was pretty clear they were chasing the pigeons as they went down to drink.

Attached are a few photos from June 26 and June 27.

!!! Sukura and Kenya Playing Tag
June 29, 2011 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

After leaving the Sheraton watch, I did  a spot check on the King St nest site. Both adults were sitting on Dundee Place, I did not see either juvenile. Crossing Church St at King St, I head the distinct sound of juveniles screaming.  Kenya was chasing Sakura  directly above me in the parking lot at King and Church. A good chase with locking talons. Kenya kept pushing Sakura. ‘They circled and played and then eventually broke off and flew back to the roof of 18 King. All that noise drew attention to them, the pedestrians thought they were gulls, but I knew better and enjoyed watching them.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 30-Jun-11, 07:16:56 PM »

!!! Jupiter
Kathy Reports:

Today I recieved a call from Mark Nash, who had himself received a call from building security informing him that one of the juveniles was down on the low rooftops, was panting and not in very good shape.

By the time I got to her she was already gone.  I knew when I saw the yellow tape on her band that it was our sweet Jupiter, our super star flyer and upstart that knocked mom of her perch with such bold confidence.

She was found directly under the glass on the roof towards the back  of the roof.    Her condition, her position and her rapid decline are consistent with the explanation Mark had given us of how devestating an impact is for them.   I will leave the expert opinion to Mark to confirm what we found.

What is especially tragic about Jupiter’s loss is that she did everything right, she flew well, she stayed high.  She came down low once but it wasn’t a crash landing, she was just in a place that was accessible by humans and other predators so we couldn’t risk leaving her there until she made her own way back up like her brothers did.  Unfortunately no one told her about how deceptive those strange glass panels that reflect the blue sky and the clouds are.

I would like to say thank you to Sunlife Buiding Security team, they were wonderful to me today and are always looking out for our family.  And a special thank you to the United Church member that kindly called to inform them that one of the kids was down on the roof and in trouble.  Your thoughfulness is appreciated.

To my beautiful Jupiter - I consider myself honored to have known you and to have felt the downy softness of your feathers.

So sad about Jupiter! Darn Windows!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 30-Jun-11, 07:28:04 PM »

!!! Jupiter
Kathy Reports:

Very sorry for your loss Kathy and all the CPFers! It's not an easy life for young peregrines or humans!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 30-Jun-11, 07:38:28 PM »

I am so very sorry.  Fly free, dear little one crying crying crying

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 30-Jun-11, 08:04:35 PM »

Thanks ladies, this is my first loss on site and I have to say it's a bit harder than I thought it would be.  I'd like to think our sweet girl is soaring the skies with William now and watching over their brothers and sisters.  wub2
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 30-Jun-11, 08:32:08 PM »

Thanks ladies, this is my first loss on site and I have to say it's a bit harder than I thought it would be.  I'd like to think our sweet girl is soaring the skies with William now and watching over their brothers and sisters.  wub2

I'm so sorry for your loss of young Jupiter.  Fly free, little one.  Sad

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 30-Jun-11, 09:06:54 PM »

It is devastating.  There is something so precious about watching these little ones from when they hatch and grow.  Then that huge leap to the skies.  To lose one is just heartbreaking.  I am so sorry, Carly Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 30-Jun-11, 09:12:52 PM »

It is devastating.  There is something so precious about watching these little ones from when they hatch and grow.  Then that huge leap to the skies.  To lose one is just heartbreaking.  I am so sorry, Carly Sad

I feel bad Carly.  heart So sorry.  Sad

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 30-Jun-11, 10:26:04 PM »

To lose one of these beautiful creatures is never easy.  They seem so indestructible,  so bold, but they're not.  They are fragile and precious and the loss of one affects us all.

Fly Free Jupiter!   Sad   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 30-Jun-11, 10:37:52 PM »

So sorry for your loss.
Rita  Syr
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 30-Jun-11, 10:50:28 PM »

I, too, am so sorry for the loss of little Jupiter.  They are beautiful creatures, and any loss is difficult.
Fly free, little Jupiter.
anneintoronto
« Reply #539 on: 01-Jul-11, 04:08:25 AM »

I have been seriously contemplating the responsibility of human beings in the advances we make that force other living beings into danger, to falter, oft times fatally...  I've never been part of an actual watch before, so, although I was always sorry to hear of the loss of yet another peregrine fledgling to an invention of humans, it never struck me so hard, as when William died...  To have him one minute, succeeding in his new found freedom, then struck down so suddenly, was tough...really tough!  I am truly sorry, Carly, that this has happened to your Jupiter, a youngster just commencing a life of speed, agility, incredible survival.  And, you're right that it is harder than one could possibly contemplate, when it is one of "your" fledglings.  May your memories of this incredible beginner carry you through for now, give you a strong desire to continue to help right, what humans, through their desire to see the world outside through more, larger, reflective windows, have wrought.

Anne in Toronto
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: