THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:25:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009321 times)
BIGFRANK
« Reply #795 on: 14-May-12, 06:22:06 AM »

Thats a good healthy attitude Carly. Tracy and I will be down this morning to check just who this new gal is. Angel enjoyed a long and productive stay at Sunlife, and like you I was very surprised when Tracy told me this news late last night(Id been away with no computer all weekend). ASAP we will let you know who it is. 4 chicks is great news.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: 14-May-12, 06:24:15 AM »

Thats a good healthy attitude Carly. Tracy and I will be down this morning to check just who this new gal is. Angel enjoyed a long and productive stay at Sunlife, and like you I was very surprised when Tracy told me this news late last night(Id been away with no computer all weekend). ASAP we will let you know who it is. 4 chicks is great news.

Thanks FRank, I have to run to get ready for work, have a few meetings first thing but I'll try to keep an eye out for you guys.  Let me know when you get her bands.  I wonder if she is a Mariah girl?  I know it's been a few years..but she was so prolific..you just never know!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: 14-May-12, 06:29:50 AM »

Feel bad for Angel or any falcon that "gets the boot" so to speak. Hope this new gal stays in her territory, (I'm sure Jack will keep her in line like DC is keeping Pigott in her territory). Nice that they have 4 chicks and cool, hope it is one of MK's kids. Thanks Carly and BF.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: 14-May-12, 07:20:27 AM »

What a year this has been. 

I'm so sorry Carly-I know she is one of your favorites-and Dot.Ca's Mom.  I have faith she's found a safe place.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: 14-May-12, 07:47:12 AM »

I've just uploaded Mark's photos of the new mom, Jack and box full of kids to my flickr site - his email said 'feel free to share' so I am.  She has a purple usfw on other leg? 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carly77/
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: 14-May-12, 07:50:39 AM »

What a year this has been. 

I'm so sorry Carly-I know she is one of your favorites-and Dot.Ca's Mom.  I have faith she's found a safe place.

Thanks Kitty.  She will never be forgotten that's for sure. She lived a full life, produced alot of kids and lived a good falcon life.  I always wondered how I'd feel if this happened and hoped that I'd be able to live up to all my talk about being open and I'm proud to say that though I do feel a sense of loss, I also find myself excited about who the new girl is, where's she from, who are her 'people' ...  Wink
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: 14-May-12, 08:28:04 AM »

I've just uploaded Mark's photos of the new mom, Jack and box full of kids to my flickr site - his email said 'feel free to share' so I am.  She has a purple usfw on other leg? 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carly77/

Definitely a purple USFWS band...means she's a mid-west girl!  She should be easy to ID once her numbers are read

http://www.midwestperegrine.org/db/

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: 14-May-12, 02:31:22 PM »

You know my first thought when you said Mid West bird was 'I wonder if it's O'Connor - after all she was in the territory next door to us.  When I blow up the photo...I think I can make out an 'M' on top.  Ten bucks on O'Connor..we'll see if I'm right when Tracy and Frank get home  thumbsup  If I'm wrong I'll buy Frank pizza  lol
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: 14-May-12, 06:07:37 PM »

Carly, I'm so sorry about Angel.  It's been a heck of a year for all of us hasn't it.  The new female is beautiful and so are the eyases.  It will be interesting to learn who she is.

Take care,
Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: 14-May-12, 06:28:53 PM »

Carly, I'm so sorry about Angel.  It's been a heck of a year for all of us hasn't it.  The new female is beautiful and so are the eyases.  It will be interesting to learn who she is.

Take care,
Carol P.

Thank you Carol, I hope she's soaring the skies somewhere, maybe she's met up with Mariah and they're enjoying being two single gals free of any obligations   handshake

I am eager to find out who our new girl is too!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: 14-May-12, 09:38:58 PM »

Take care,
Carol P.

Thank you Carol, I hope she's soaring the skies somewhere, maybe she's met up with Mariah and they're enjoying being two single gals free of any obligations   handshake

I am eager to find out who our new girl is too!

Yes, here's hoping they are both out there flying free and doing what Peregrines do.   wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: 15-May-12, 05:53:20 AM »

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/724154--update-final-hamilton-sheraton-falcon-egg-still-present

Surprise: Web watcher finds missing falcon egg

The fourth and final egg laid by Madame X is still hanging on.

Mississauga Executive Centre Banding a Huge Success!!
May 14, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today was banding day at the MEC building and it was a great day had by all.  This year, the unbanded resident pair hatched three of their four eggs a full 2 weeks earlier than other sites and it was a great place to kick off the 2012 peregrine season!!  When we arrived, Sante Esposito and his fabulous staff at the Oxford Property Management Group had already set up tables, drinks and cookies in the lobby of MEC #1 in anticipation of the crowd that was expected to attend.  The outstanding staff on security were helping to get things organized and arranged and were an excellent help.  Very quickly the lobby began to fill with proud community foster parents of the falcon family at MEC.  Mark Heaton of the Ministry of Natural Resources was getting set up to band the chicks and Skyreach, an incredible partner of the CPF and supporter of the peregrine falcons were preparing for the descent to the ledge.

The resident adults were already aware that something was up and were making their presence known as good parents do.  They were very vocal about the event and were keeping an eye on the Skyreach and OMNR team on the roof.  Shortly after the swing stage was lowered into place, the precious package of the first peregrine chicks of 2012 arrived at the banding table.

Please join us in welcoming…

Jennifer     Female     28 Days     Black 56 over Black X     Red Tape 

Janet     Female     27 Days     Black 57 over Black X     Yellow Tape

Skyreach     Female     26 Days    Black 58 over Black X     Green Tape

Handlers and voluteers at the table included Kelly of TD Friends of the Environment Foundation, CPF volunteers and Oxford Property building maintenance staff.  Please check back soon as we will post a formal thank you to all that participated and joined us to celebrate this fabulous event.  We have also, seeing as we had all females this year, applied the male name that we had in reserve to the unbanded resident male that has been on site since 2009.  I invite everyone to join us in welcoming Sante as the new official name of the resident male!!  It suits him very well as he is a most distinguished male.

Always Something To See
May 14, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square report 20120514

I arrived at 3:51 pm and no-one was about. Fifteen minutes later Haven came circling in from the east over Eglinton Ave. She continued circling over RC, westward and then up Duplex Ave. She called three times and then flew west out of sight. That was it for 29 minutes. I missed Haven’s return to the nest so I don’t know if she brought in any food. I did see Stormin leave and fly to the south west corner of Canada Square where he sat under the railing one floor below the scrape level.

Four minutes later I saw Haven do that *fluttery/jump thing* to the far end of the scrape ledge and then back to the scrape area. Not sure what that is all about! Stormin in the meantime was just enjoying the sun. He faced into it then turned and sat with his back to it. After that he turned sideways on and stretched a wing, stretched a leg, had a scratch and sat some more before flying off 21 minutes later, somewhere up Yonge St.

An hour later he returned, sat on the ledge below the scrape level and three ledges over was there for all of two minutes then soared over Canada Square and again disappeared up Yonge St.

« Last Edit: 15-May-12, 06:02:13 AM by Donna » Logged

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: 15-May-12, 07:41:35 AM »

Huge Surprise at Etobicoke Sun Life; New Resident Female

May 14, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

It came as a huge shock when Mark Nash came by the CPF Raptor Centre with a ton of pictures he had just taken of the family at the Etobicoke Sun Life nest site during a feeding and we noticed that both adults were banded.  For the past 11 years, this site has been home to an unbanded adult female that we have dubbed Angel.  It would appear that Mark was able to capture a picture clearly showing a Black over Green recovery band on her left leg and a purple USFW band on her right leg indicating she is of midwest American origins.

In the early spring during courtship, Angel was positively identified as the current resident female with Jack, the long standing resident male hatched in 2002 at the Mississauga Executive Centre.  There were no observations of a territorial battle, interlopers or a change in adults so once the pair entered the incubation phase of the breeding season, the female spent most of her time in the nest tray.  I visited recently to confirm the first hatch of the season for the site and she did not budge from her duties in brooding her newly hatched young.  It wasn’t until this recent feeding of her four hatchlings that we were able to clearly denote the change.

I have yet to get a clear look at her band numbers so that we can put a name to a face of this new mystery female.  With her arrival comes the promise of 4 new hatchlings in 2012 and hopefully many more to come.  I will hopefully have her identified for you very shortly so check back soon!!

BIGFRANK
« Reply #808 on: 16-May-12, 06:15:25 PM »

So far we have been shut out as to getting the band number of the new female at Sunlife. Tracy is giving it the college try today again, as she has most of the afternoon free. Last evening she kept her back to me most of the night, as I watched from ground level with a scope. I was clearly able to view her purple band grrrrrrr. Maybe MNR should be putting the recovery band on the other leg..they seem to show us that more readily! Haha. We will get the number soon Im sure.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: 16-May-12, 06:28:11 PM »

I was stunned when I saw her flying today for the first time...the switchover must have happened during breeding as I never saw her in the air I now realize.  She was just huge, I mean huge...even on her own I could see how much bigger than Angel she is..just floored me to be honest.  I thought wow..I would have noticed that surely! 

I just hope once their kids fledge, she doesn't start wondering why he's flying North all the time and decide to go with him...or maybe she knows already...but at least the babies are keeping her at the nest right now..so phew.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: