THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078573 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: 14-Jun-12, 12:43:52 PM »

Great catch, Annette!

Paul
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: 14-Jun-12, 12:56:34 PM »

!!! All three of the fledglings are doing very well indeed!
June 13, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

Mark Nash Reports:

June 14th - 2012
To recap today’s events, all three of the fledglings have been successful in returning to the nest box on their own steam, and have clearly demonstrated their ability to both stay aloft and hold their altitude. In addition, all three fledglings have gained altitude and already testing their parents nerves by repeatedly flying to the much taller hydro towers and other parts of the Skyway bridge!

Several very short games of tag (chase me if you can) have already been observed by the fledglings and one is already starting to chase their parents in the air for food.

The resident adult female - (named Cirrus) doesn’t appear to be having any further trouble with her leg/food injury and is landing, roosting and catching food just fine now. Both adults are incredible parents and attending to the “kids” every needs.

McKenzie - (the resident adult male) is still making use of the available food source (the many pigeons nesting in the lift bridge itself), and doing his share of local on-site pigeon control! While I have missed photographing the events, McKenzie is regularly going into the access holes of the steel structure of th Lift Bridge when its in the “UP position” and has been shopping for “fresh young pigeon” . Much like shopping in your local supermarket going up and down the aisles picking your favourite foods. Bill was able to get a serious of photos that clearly demonstrate this incredible adaptation. I truly hope that he will post some of these photos for all to see! Incredible event shots!!

As of today, the official fledge watch has finished as all three of your young falcons have demonstrated their ability to sustain flight and hold their altitude. While their landings are still much to be desired, practice will make perfect as we say, as this will be a learning experience for the fledglings / juveniles over the next few days as they hone their take-off and landing skills. While they will still be solely dependant on their adult parents for food and protection for the next 30 to 60 days, (and will continue to use the nest box on a regular basis), although they will be spending allot of their time on the bridge and hydro towers as always.

The fledglings will still likely be spending many of their nights in the nest box as this still represents “home” and a safe protected place to sleep.

Barring in mind, that all three of the fledglings at the Burlington Lift bridge nest site are males, and as such, their behaviour differs from that of females. Their affinity to the nest box will not be as important to them as it would be to the females. They young males will become far more independent, and much quicker that if they were young females.

As always, the resident adults will still be overly protective (even more so now) over the nest few days as their “children” are now mobile and on the loose.

Think of it as young 16 year old teenage boys with the keys to the family car for the first time! Look out world, I’m here!!!! Foot loose and care free as they investigate and experience their new world!

There will remain a skeleton base of CPF volunteers, local residents and bird watchers that will be checking in each day – throughout the day for the next week to ten days just in case any of the fledglings get into any further trouble, but an organized dawn to dusk watch is no longer necessary. We will of course remain on a 24/7 on call basis and can always and can be reached by mobile telephones.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank all theos that have been so supportive, the CPF watch team and local community support for all of their assistance. A huge thank you to Bill and Sue for their kindness and support and for coordinating the fledge watch, and for their dedication to the cause, the birds, their community and the foundation! A great team!!!!

Stay tuned for more observations and postings…………..

Posted on June 14, 2012 12:20 pm
Observation for Burlington - Lift Bridge

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: 14-Jun-12, 01:09:31 PM »

This is good news, especially about Cirrus's foot. Feet make me nervous! THX!! Good luck kids!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: 14-Jun-12, 01:14:39 PM »

Tuesday, June 14, 2012, 11AM - Falconwatch Coordinator Erica Lagios reports: At 09:44 the two chicks were perched on the western edge of the ledge when suddenly, with a powerful stroke of his wings, Beckett leaped UP into the air about a falcon's height, i.e. enough to clear his brother's head, and took off to the south. After a short but quite strong flight to the very large air conditioning unit on the Sheraton roof, Beckett immediately started checking out his surroundings. Discovering the cooling water pool he promptly took a bath and then, after shaking himself off, lay down on the edge of the machinery to rest up. Stay tuned!

This goes with Annette's picture!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: 14-Jun-12, 02:12:29 PM »

Three in the Air; Tristen Found
June 11, 2012 - Toronto - King Street

Tracy Simpson Reports:

After finishing a Project School Visit presentation in Toronto, I had some time until my next appointment and so headed down to 18 King St East to help out Marion and Zoe with the watch.  When I arrived, I first spotted to juveniles and Zoe so I quickly parked and made my way over for an update.  She had three juveniles this morning clearly indicating that Tristen was back!!  One young one was on the nest building roof, another on the King Edward Hotel and a third on 1 Toronto St.  I set to wandering to try and help with the who, what and where of it all.  The chick on the nest building roof that Zoe was watching was Aphrodite, her red tape clearly visible, who was still on the elevation where she was released the night before after her rescue.  The second juvenile was on the roof of the King Edward Hotel sitting right next to the chimney.  He preened, stretched and flapped but was not willing to give up his identity by showing off his tape colour.  So I decided to make my way south for a better view of our 1 Toronto St. bird.  Marion and Zoe had eyes on everyone just in case a nect flight was coming and they were joined by the vigilant parents both perched on the condo across from the nest building.  When I got into position, I was able to identify the sleeping juvie on 1 Toronto St. as Grayor!  His first flight was early this morning and he’s done a great job maintaining his elevation and making it to the rooftop.  That meant that the little one on the King Edward was Tristen!!  For the past couple of days, the parents have been trying to incite another flight from this little one but he remained hidden from all of us somewhere in the shade as the heat was really too much for man and beastie!!  Erin delivered a small food package to him on the hotel which rousted the other two who were looking to join him.  It was really cute to watch as the juveniles could all see one another and were flipping their heads at each others antics.  I left the watch at around 2pm and Marion continued the vigil with Zoe and later on, Bruce.  Tristen took his next flight over to 1 Toronto St to hang out with Grayor and the two boys both took another good flight over to the roof of the nest building.  Wanting to join the party, Aphrodite took a really good flight over to 1 Toronto St only to find that the boys had left and gone over to where she just left from!!  Let the game of tag begin!!  All the while, the little wee one, Dundee, remained on the nest ledge behind the pillar opting to stay in the shade today and rest up seeing as he had the whole place to himself.

Posted on June 12, 2012 9:31 am
Observation for Toronto - King Street

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: 14-Jun-12, 09:01:48 PM »

!!! Lazy day for the four of them
June 14, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

For the eight hours we were there the four of them were just having a lazy day. When we arrived at the Bridge Freddie and Voltaire were near the nest ledge. Eddy was on the top of the abutment while General Brock, Twitter and Viper were sitting on the third one down. We saw Voltaire come in once with a food package and Eddy was very happy about that. There was some flights but mainly just sitting and lying around.
Gwen & Dennis Site Co-ordinators CPF

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: 15-Jun-12, 06:51:18 AM »

Fledgling Rescue at Holcim
June 15, 2012 - Mississauga - Holcim
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Mark Nash received a phone call this evening that a juvenile peregrine falcon was down on the ground in the Holcim plant area.  A worker at the site, also named Mark, was coached on how to do a rescue and what to do next and he did an awesome job at it!!  Bird in box, he called back to share the success of his rescue with us and I was called by Mark Nash to attend the site and check the bird out.  When I arrived and took at look in the rescue carrier, I was greeted with a whole lotta hissing and puffing up.  This chick looked furious.  I took the bird out and transferred it to a larger rescue box and throughout the whole move, the bird lashed out with talons, bit out at me like a little rattlesnake and yelled its displeasure.  The young one had lots of energy and major attitude, nice pink mouth, holding both wings up, eyes bright, excellent balance and standing at attention.  This chick looked absolutely fine except for a few ruffed feathers on the left wing.  Regardless of that, the bird was alert and at the ready.  I left the bird in the capable hands of security and returned to check back on the little one before heading home.  The OMNR were called to visit the site and band the young one as we were not able to get these chicks banded this year due to time conflicts.  The chicks need to be banded ideally between 18 and 24 days and the rock climber needed for this site was not available during that crucial window of time.  The plan is to band the young should they come to the ground and it looks like we have our first.  Check back for an update on the little one’s info!!

Residential Falcons

Jun 13, 2012 - Notice - Fledge Watch 2012

For residents, please be aware that fledge watch (waiting for the first flights of our 2 youngsters) will begin Thursday June 14. Volunteers are welcome, and if you happen to witness a bird away from the ledge and in any kind of danger, please contact building security.

As of today, our birds are approximately 35 days old, so it's close to the time when first flights will take place. Keep an eye out for any action!
« Last Edit: 15-Jun-12, 06:56:44 AM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: 15-Jun-12, 12:04:05 PM »

Three in Sight in Etobicoke
June 15, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Last night was my final night on the Etobicoke watch as I switch gears to Yonge and Eglinton to help Haven and Stormin’s kids the best I can.  When I arrived, I had Regatta on the corner of the condo and was able to confirm that it is her by the tape colour; blue.  Another chick was on a ledge of the nest building facing Bloor St and after a bit of walking about, I found a third on a ledge of the nest building on the Aberfoyle side.  I can’t confirm the identity of these two as they were sitting back into the ledge and their legs were not visible.  As I left the watch for the night, three were definately in sight and O’Connor was there as well.  She made efforts to get the chick on the Aberfoyle side to move but it refused to budge and instead laid down for the night on that ledge.  Frank, with help from Kathy, Baylie and Rob when they are available ( these folks are amazing and we are so grateful for them ), will continue to remain on site until Olympia, the last to fledge ( first flight yesterday ) gets herself organized and makes it back to the nest ledge.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: 15-Jun-12, 02:52:47 PM »

Windward was rescued today, found on a balcony behind the glass. We found her yesterday morning on the Bell building - which is a two story building and wondered how she got there as she had been flying so well.  She was there at 6:30 so likely something happened at dawn that morning before any of us were up and about.  She spent most of the day sitting in the hot sun and finally took off around 2 pm and flew between the nest ledge building and condo one and though she did gain a bit of height, we knew she wouldn't make it back up as she never came around the other side.

A ground search ensued and I also went up in my building and searched the rooftops and balconies from our windows at work.  No sign of her and the building we found her on - there were 6 workman on it yesterday so we were surprised to find her there today.  When I went outside first thing this morning in the back, they called to me from their swing stage to inform me that a falcon was on one of the 6th floor balconies.  So I ran to the front and got Frank and he hauled it over to the back, Baylie got the carrier and Frank went in with the Superintendent to rescue her.

She is now safely in a cool, quiet area until some brave soul will dare to face Oconnor and put her back on the roof!  I'm just home for a few hours break and then I'm heading back to keep Frank company and hopefully not have any others come down.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: 15-Jun-12, 03:44:22 PM »

clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: 15-Jun-12, 03:49:42 PM »

Windward was rescued today, found on a balcony behind the glass. We found her yesterday morning on the Bell building - which is a two story building and wondered how she got there as she had been flying so well.  She was there at 6:30 so likely something happened at dawn that morning before any of us were up and about.  She spent most of the day sitting in the hot sun and finally took off around 2 pm and flew between the nest ledge building and condo one and though she did gain a bit of height, we knew she wouldn't make it back up as she never came around the other side.

A ground search ensued and I also went up in my building and searched the rooftops and balconies from our windows at work.  No sign of her and the building we found her on - there were 6 workman on it yesterday so we were surprised to find her there today.  When I went outside first thing this morning in the back, they called to me from their swing stage to inform me that a falcon was on one of the 6th floor balconies.  So I ran to the front and got Frank and he hauled it over to the back, Baylie got the carrier and Frank went in with the Superintendent to rescue her.

She is now safely in a cool, quiet area until some brave soul will dare to face Oconnor and put her back on the roof!  I'm just home for a few hours break and then I'm heading back to keep Frank company and hopefully not have any others come down.

hurt "until some brave soul will dare to face Oconnor and put her back on the roof!"  LOL Carly! Call Tracy to do it she claimed her as her bird!  rofl

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: 15-Jun-12, 08:55:19 PM »

Now the Games Begin
June 15, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

The kids are doing amazing.  They are red hot flying machines.  Today, we witnessed all 5 birds in the air at the same time.  Cirrus and Mackenzie coaxing the kids with bits of dinner.  “You want this, then you have to come and get it”.  Barry actually witnessed a food transfer today between Mackenzie and one of the juvies.

The next few days should bring some amazing aerobatics.

!!! King St Nest Update
June 15, 2012 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

Aphrodite, Grayor and Tristen continue to do well with nice long flights.

Dundee is still unfledged but is seen doing a lot of flapping today.

Both the adults,( Erin and Windwhistler ) continue with long soaring flights in front of the nest building .

Food was delivered to the building across from the nest ledge, trying to lure Dundee off.

At 3:30 pm, a food drop was made to the nest ledge. Aphrodite, the big girl that she is, joined Dundee to partake in the offerings.  Could not have been a big serving, Dundee was quick to return to the edge of the ledge and look out. 

Renovations continue on the roof of the King Edward Hotel and hopefully this activity won’t disrupt Dundee’s maiden flight too much.  CPF volunteers are keeping an eye on him.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: 15-Jun-12, 09:06:28 PM »

Oh that sounds like such fun at Burlington! Good luck to the little rockets!!!  Wink

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: 15-Jun-12, 09:44:21 PM »

Regatta left us tonight at approximately 4:45 pm.  She had a fatal collision with the glass tower trying to get home to the nest ledge.  She died on impact.  I'm so glad she had a few days to fly free and feel the wind under her wings, she was a beautiful girl.  I was inside the building when it happened but Frank and Angie saw it and described to me what happened.  I was able to go in and say goodbye to her and touch her.

O'Connor was devastated - she saw the collision and was screaming her head off and flew down to the lower rooftops and went back and forth yelling...just heartbreaking.  She did not attack when the body was removed from the roof either so that is pretty telling.  She and Jack both sat on the ledge in silence for a good hour and nary a peep was heard.  It's the first one she's ever lost and I truly believe she was grieving.

Tracy will be releasing Windward tonight and picking up Regatta. 
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #974 on: 15-Jun-12, 09:48:12 PM »

Fly free, Regatta.  There are many peregrines waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. It is so hard for us humans.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: