THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 06:14:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1317361 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:50:32 AM »

I was going to call him earlier but thought to myself..what if he's trying to sleep in this morning and someone else is on site for the early shift.  Didn't want to be the person that woke him up.. lol  So I waited for a reasonable hour and I was worried too to be honest  paperbag

Yes, let sleeping watchers sleep!! Way to go Carly!!

Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:51:02 AM »

TY so much Carly for the update  & to Bruce & everyone watching her  good news

Way to go Harlie  2thumbsup

heart u sweet girl !

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:56:33 AM »

It's going to be 38c with the humidex today so the watchers will have a tough day and the sun is shining to boot so hopefully everyone stays hydrated.  I expect the heat may keep Harlie from flying too much this afternoon.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:58:51 AM »

Going back to the tape, I think they might have switched while I saved one recording and started another...

This is clearly an adult (likely Quest) from just before the other pics digging in the gravel & preening...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: 10-Jul-11, 11:48:38 AM »

A big "Thank you!" to Carly and Bruce.

My local falcon family spent most of the morning just roosting in the shade.  If Quest and Kendal's family react similarly to the heat, today might be less exciting than yesterday.  On the other hand, if most of Harlie's flying is near the nest building, Harlequin employees and cam watchers might get a real show tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.

I hope the fledge watchers have a shady place to hang out.  Our hot, humid weather is moving North.

Paul
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: 10-Jul-11, 12:15:28 PM »

NO word on Harlequin!!! There has to be a better way to communicate. She could be in Nantucket right now!!  Wink

We are so used to Rochester falcon watchers tweeting instant reports. We've forgotten how to wait patiently.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: 10-Jul-11, 03:17:09 PM »

NO word on Harlequin!!! There has to be a better way to communicate. She could be in Nantucket right now!!  Wink

We are so used to Rochester falcon watchers tweeting instant reports. We've forgotten how to wait patiently.

Your not kidding! Would cost a fortune to communicate with us from there....(just ask Joyce)! It was a rough 24 hrs. though. Ok, I shall learn patience.  Wink

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: 10-Jul-11, 03:39:05 PM »

I was concerned because I know our Canadian friends keep in touch pretty darn quick.  Now I really believe the saying, "Bad news travels fast."  And that other one, "No news is good news."  Whew!  Nail biter, though.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: 10-Jul-11, 03:43:20 PM »

I was concerned because I know our Canadian friends keep in touch pretty darn quick.  Now I really believe the saying, "Bad news travels fast."  And that other one, "No news is good news."  Whew!  Nail biter, though.

Your not kidding!  phew

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:00:00 PM »

THANK YOU, CARLY.  JUST CATCHING UP AGAIN -- AND HARLIE has been on my mind all day.  It drove me nuts that I logged on at 9 pm for the first time tonight, and couldn't access the site.  So our little Harlequin is doing ok. Such relief.  Good genes there.   I can rest easy tonight.
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:03:30 PM »

Harli is doing really well!!  I just called Bruce and he's at the site!!  He's had problems trying to access CPF to post so that's why no report this morning.

But all is well so far!!  thumbsup

clap  Thank you for checking Carly!  We can be a bit  hyper waiting for news!

Meanwhile-at first I thought this was an adult.  It may well be, but I don't recall any adult ever standing in one spot opening their wings like this for 2+ frames before taking off.  And at full extension the wings appear longer like a juvie's...just too far away to tell for sure...

Awww.  I think you caught little Harlie here!   So beautiful!   
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:07:45 PM »

notworthy  This is soooo true, Shaky.  We live in an instant world now, and not knowing instantly makes us   silly hyper crazy    Did I just express that correctly?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: 10-Jul-11, 11:41:18 PM »

I am so glad to hear that young Harlequin  wub2  has fledged safely and is doing well on her first flights (and landings!).  The flights are usually easy, it's the landings that get a bit tricky!  Thank you Carly for contacting Bruce and getting an update on our girl.   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: 11-Jul-11, 05:55:00 AM »

!!! Baby Harlie is airborne! AM report.
July 09, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Bruce Massey Reports:

Saturday July 9th - 5am report
Took over from Anne B & Carol @ 1430 Hrs. Quest @ Nest Tray, Harlie @ East End of Building in some shade. Had around 2 hours of peace & quiet and then Quest flew low past Harley and then looped around to land @ roof level and then called to wake up Harley, and boy did she ever wake her up. For the next 15 to 20 minutes this girl vocalized she was faint w/hunger, all her feathers were be slowly pulled out one by one etc etc. Meanwhile Mom had gone & got a food package & after eating a little herself brought the rest in for Harlie.
After that, there was around 4pm or so hours of flapping (Good Coordination, a little lift) disappearing around the East Corner. The determining factor was that the adult/s (Quest) were absent until the last feeding @ around 2000 Hrs. After this Harley went over to a column in the middle of the building and laid down facing inward. (Yahoo, an early night). Around 1/2 hour later a TTC Bus w/noisy brakes had her up again and finally around 2130 Hrs she had settled on one of the concrete pieces sticking out of the middle of the building. I left soon after that @ 2140-2145 Hrs releaved by Mark and Marion,, and Dennis and Gwen who came in from Windsor Ontario - (CPF chaptor coordinators from the Windsor Ontario nest site).

Thanx
Bruce Massey
Sent from my Black Berry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

!!! Baby Hiarlie’s first flights
July 09, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
CPF Postmaster Reports:

<

strong>Saturday July 9th - 2011

Murray and I did 2 drive byes yesterday (Sat July 9) before arriving at 2:30 ish to help out with the fledge watch. At 2:18 we watched nervously as she did her second flight. A little scary, but definitely exciting. We were worried she was going to go in the valley, but she turned around and mommy Quest and daddy Kendall were in the vicinity watching. Very awkward landing, but ok.. Have learned lots of info from Mark and Marion of the CPF and Bruce the bird man. Stayed till approx 8:15pm after all of the birds seemed to settle down for the evening and met lots of wonderful dedicated people.

Will be back tomorrow!!
Debbie & Murray

!!! Baby H has fledged and holding her altitude just fine.
July 10, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

Today at the watch Harlie decided it was time to test my nerves. Both Debbie and I are still shaking.
First thing first. Thank you To the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and all their fledge volunteers who do this day after day after day, year after year. You have nerves of steel and man I admire the lot of you. Mark Marion Bruce Tracy Frank Lyn and Kathy (the only ones I know) you are totally amazing. Thank you thank you thank you.
I arrived today at the watch and Bruce and I enjoyed watching Baby Harlequin fly around the Harlequin building and then land on top of the building.
Baby Harlie was amazing.
Murray and Debbie arrived
3 hours later was a different story. .
Harlequin was chasing the adults on the Harlequin roof - even taking short flights in the air. Kendal did a food drop to Harlie and then Quest came and took it away. Harlie ticked off. She chased mom all over the roof.
Now come the time that apparently I screamed
As Harlie was chasing mom she slipped off and fell head first from the top of the building spinning around. LUCKILY mom and dad peregrine falcon were there to help her adjust her flight and change her direction and truly saved their baby. Now the fun part they started to chased the baby and the baby chased the parents, around and off around and off. Lots of great action and amazing flights by all three of them. Meanwhile I am standing there with my towel on my shoulder, camera off to the side and going OMG OMG. Goosebumps galore and man no nerves of steel with this gal. Bruce comes over and is laughing at me. Both Debbie and I were speak less (oh yes really Murray and Carol)
Bruce took my towel and waved it at me and told me I was fired as photographer since i forgot about the camera during all this amazing action. lol
So that was the end of my little adventure at the fledge watch today. I really admire all the people who can handle this work.
Ann
PS both Quest and Kendal are great parents - they lead and guide the baby all over the place. Could have been a different outcome if not for the parents. Great work mom and dad.
Again you guys at CPF are amazing. Thanks
I am off to take some Valium and rest for the evening. No photos today lol

Ann Brokelman

OMG, my heart sank reading this. Quest and Kendal truly are AMAZING parents!! Thank you all so much for watching after them! I need more than a "PHEW" smiley! Valium sounds good!! heart

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:21:21 AM »

Great reports, everyone - such excitement! Thanks for being there.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: