THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:42:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mariah  (Read 27640 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24-May-11, 09:23:24 PM »

There is also Erin - the resident female at King Street here in Toronto (Kendall's mom).  She turned up in 2009 and was 11 years old at the time!  She was born in Milwaukee in 1998 and who knows where she was prior to showing up here.

And don't forget your very own Alkyonis, who was spotted for the first time since she left Rochester in 2004, in Michigan.   
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24-May-11, 09:39:46 PM »

There is also Erin - the resident female at King Street here in Toronto (Kendall's mom).  She turned up in 2009 and was 11 years old at the time!  She was born in Milwaukee in 1998 and who knows where she was prior to showing up here.

And don't forget your very own Alkyonis, who was spotted for the first time since she left Rochester in 2004, in Michigan.   
Thanks, Carly, for the healthy and cheerful reminders!    We need them now!
Cheer on for Quest, Kendall, Linn, Reuben, Rhea Mae and Tiago, and all of our PeFas no matter where they may be!   
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29-Nov-11, 08:47:02 PM »

Carol P., I just read your wonderful report about Mariah assisting Isaura to make it home to the tower after she fledged. Beautiful! I can just picture the incomparable Mariah gently nudging Isaura to help her maintain altitude. I wish we could have a sighting of Mariah . . .

I remember Isaura so well. She was such a beautiful juvie, and she is not forgotten. A few photos of her:

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 29-Nov-11, 08:49:55 PM »

Isaura was also my favorite and first casualty.  She met up with a jet at Rochester Airport. I still have tears. 

I think we will never know about Mariah.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29-Nov-11, 09:43:30 PM »

That was my first fledge watch and Mariah (and Isaura) captured my heart, forever.  Isaura was a very independent young lady.  The only girl that year with 4 brothers.  She definitely had Kaver wrapped around her big yellow footed talons.   happy  He would do anything for her and she was very demanding!  She was the Princess!  Appropriately named by Brian H.

At night all five would return to the top of the Kodak Tower.  One night, Little Miss Isaura decided to spend the night in a tree just below the pedestrian bridge in the river gorge.  While the boys settled down above her, Isaura settled in "her" tree (Isaura's Tree) and watched the people walking back and forth on the bridge.  It was a beautiful summer evening.  The falls were lit in pastel colors, undulating to the music playing softly.

Most of us headed home, knowing they were all safe.  But, Cornpoppy stayed to have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants.  He checked on her before heading home, and she was safely in her tree, head ducked under her wing sound asleep.

We were devastated when it was reported that she had been hit by a plane at the Rochester Airport.

I have so many fond memories of Isaura.   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29-Nov-11, 09:49:23 PM »

Alison & Bonnie - In my heart, I truly believe that Mariah is out there, flying free.  Everytime a new Peregrine is sighted in the area, we all get there as quickly as possible, hoping that it might be her.  I truly wish that some day we may see her again.   wub2

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29-Nov-11, 11:08:01 PM »

Alison & Bonnie - In my heart, I truly believe that Mariah is out there, flying free.  Everytime a new Peregrine is sighted in the area, we all get there as quickly as possible, hoping that it might be her.  I truly wish that some day we may see her again.   wub2

Me too, Carol!  Whenever I read of a falcon that has been "missing" for awhile-- like Handsome-- only to return, it gives me hope that we will see her again. I am so grateful that she was banded.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29-Nov-11, 11:09:05 PM »

That was my first fledge watch and Mariah (and Isaura) captured my heart, forever.  Isaura was a very independent young lady.  The only girl that year with 4 brothers.  She definitely had Kaver wrapped around her big yellow footed talons.   happy  He would do anything for her and she was very demanding!  She was the Princess!  Appropriately named by Brian H.

At night all five would return to the top of the Kodak Tower.  One night, Little Miss Isaura decided to spend the night in a tree just below the pedestrian bridge in the river gorge.  While the boys settled down above her, Isaura settled in "her" tree (Isaura's Tree) and watched the people walking back and forth on the bridge.  It was a beautiful summer evening.  The falls were lit in pastel colors, undulating to the music playing softly.

Most of us headed home, knowing they were all safe.  But, Cornpoppy stayed to have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants.  He checked on her before heading home, and she was safely in her tree, head ducked under her wing sound asleep.

We were devastated when it was reported that she had been hit by a plane at the Rochester Airport.

Was she hit by the plane later that night or the next day?  I so hate when one of them is lost like that Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-Nov-11, 05:57:51 PM »

Was she hit by the plane later that night or the next day?  I so hate when one of them is lost like that Sad

It wasn't then Jeanne.  It was later in the Summer I believe.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-Nov-11, 06:27:55 PM »

What a wonderful story about Isaura, Carol P.! Since I am in western Canada, I never had the chance to see Isaura in person, but I followed her and her siblings Edge, Chayton, Tlohtli and Destiny closely on the webcam. There was something very special about her.

I too was devastated when she was lost in a collision with a plane.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-Nov-11, 06:31:04 PM »

Alison & Bonnie - In my heart, I truly believe that Mariah is out there, flying free.  Everytime a new Peregrine is sighted in the area, we all get there as quickly as possible, hoping that it might be her.  I truly wish that some day we may see her again.   wub2

I believe Mariah is out there too, Carol P. She is such a wise, strong and resourceful falcon that I think it is likely that she is still around. Thank you so much for checking on peregrines in the area. And a huge thank you for saving this magnificent falcon's life when Archer and Beauty attacked her.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-Nov-11, 06:34:18 PM »

To the best of my recollection, this happened on July 23, 2003. Born on May 12, Isaura's life was much too short. She deserved to have a long life and raise many chicks.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-Nov-11, 06:41:36 PM »

To the best of my recollection, this happened on July 23, 2003. Born on May 12, Isaura's life was much too short. She deserved to have a long life and raise many chicks.

That's the date I have too, Alison.  I never knew her-I found the cams the following year-but I sure have been able to know how special she was.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-Nov-11, 09:05:01 PM »

You are very welcome Alison.  I have a million of them.  Stories I mean!   lol

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-Nov-11, 09:09:04 PM »

You are very welcome Alison.  I have a million of them.  Stories I mean!   lol

goodone  You certainly do!  harhar

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: