THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 04:08:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 27399 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 29-Aug-11, 10:23:02 PM »

There's a LOT of massive flooding-

This has pictures  & videos from Margaretville...

http://www.watershedpost.com/2011/middletown-irene-update

Wading away again in Margaretville...

That's what big hurricanes do when they hit the Northeast -- massive flooding. I remember the mess Agnes made in '72. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agnes

I remember the damage that Agnes did on the east coast.  and who could forget Hurricane Carol in 1954 (ok I wasn't born quite yet).  Looks like the path of this deadly Hurricane was close to Irene's path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Carol

So glad that everyone made it through Hurricane Irene safely.   yes
« Last Edit: 29-Aug-11, 10:28:49 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
valhalla
« Reply #61 on: 30-Aug-11, 05:39:51 AM »

Finally checking in from Owings, MD...

First, I knew this would be a rain event, but I never imagined the amount of Inland rain, which based on the upstate NY and PA amounts will flood on down to the Chesapeake soon - suspect we are going to have some wild silt and stuff washing into the Bay, which will hurt the crab harvest.  But that is to consider for another day.  Noticed Carol's Agnus mention and when I saw the EXTREME Upstate Flooding, I thought of Agnes - especially after seeing the High Water Mark at the Corning Museum of Glass a few years ago.  It is all coming my way.

We opted to drive back from NC Sunday evening and got home very late (way past my bedtime - almost time to get up - that late).  Did a quick reveiw and the basement was bone-dry, lots and lots of branches down, 3 trees going over (neighbors tied them back up), pool just at the edge (yay), so lots of clean-up.  Rich spent yesterday chipping wood and I addressed all of the gardens (really good shape considering) and cleaning the leaves etc. in the pool area.  Exhusted, hence no messages!  

Wait until I share the pictures from Greenwood Lake (where I grew up and lived for 25-years)!  NEVER in my 53 years on this earth have I ever seen the water that high!  My friend said that the Donzi was touching the top of the boathouse!   scared blue  

Sorry that I didn't check in sooner, but I was pooped.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30-Aug-11, 05:45:43 AM »

wave   Glad to hear everything is in good shape Janet!   Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30-Aug-11, 05:48:35 AM »

Knew you got hammered with Rain, as did we. Glad no damage but like the rest of us, lots of debris to clean. I have seen Denville and Dover flooded before but never to this extent. Janet, you have seen Denville, it's waist deep all through town. Still closed and many have lost their business. One man here in Dover got caught in the fast moving current on Blackwell St. He was moving so fast, no one could get him. From what they say, he just vanished. Awful. Glad ya's made it home safe.

valhalla
« Reply #64 on: 30-Aug-11, 05:53:58 AM »

I knew Denville, like Pompton Lakes was going under - it always does.  It is the amount of water in sections that don't usually flood that got my attention.  Governor Christy said that this could be a century storm in NJ and it just might be that.  Glad that you are on high ground, Donna.  Power is still out outside of my neighborhood.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 30-Aug-11, 05:58:57 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bTA8Led7mU#ws Center of Denville on Sunday.

Pic is in Front of our Hospital in Denville, you can see in the distance where it was all fields, is now all water.

valhalla
« Reply #66 on: 30-Aug-11, 06:03:35 AM »

Jet-sking throught town!  Sad, but it is a fun thing to do (that mixed emotion thing).  Did that have to shut the hospital down or were people able to get to it?  St. Clares is a GOOD hospital, for those that don't know the area. 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 30-Aug-11, 06:08:57 AM »

Denville was totally shut down from all entrances, not sure how people got in Janet. Prob by boat!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 31-Aug-11, 11:30:33 PM »

Has anyone heard from Kapi or Lynne lately?
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 01-Sep-11, 08:43:45 AM »

I heard from Kapi. Her house has been severely damaged and contaminated by oil forcing her to move out. She has limited Internet access but was able to post to our FaceBook page.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01-Sep-11, 01:41:17 PM »

I heard from Kapi. Her house has been severely damaged and contaminated by oil forcing her to move out. She has limited Internet access but was able to post to our FaceBook page.

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 01-Sep-11, 05:30:01 PM »

Oh, no!  That's horrible news!  I'm so sorry Kapi.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01-Sep-11, 06:45:00 PM »

Wish I had a magic wand to reach across the miles & help...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05-Sep-11, 12:50:13 AM »

Thanks for thinking of me!  We were in Las Vegas!  Left day before the storm!!  House still here and cellar is dry-so we were lucky-house never lost power.  We did tie down the grill and put things away that could fly around.  We were luckier than the people in Vermont-though up north seemed to have gotten more rain than here . No we didn't win!!!  But had fun!!!

Lynne in New Hampshire
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 05-Sep-11, 08:24:08 AM »

Thanks for thinking of me!  We were in Las Vegas!  Left day before the storm!!  House still here and cellar is dry-so we were lucky-house never lost power.  We did tie down the grill and put things away that could fly around.  We were luckier than the people in Vermont-though up north seemed to have gotten more rain than here . No we didn't win!!!  But had fun!!!

Glad to hear from you. I think we've heard from everyone now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: