THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 03:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 27421 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 24-Aug-11, 11:26:34 PM »

Careful out there everyone.  Bad stuff coming our way.   scared blue

Should be past us by midnite according to the Weather Channel.

I'm worried about the Hurricane that's headin our way!! Like, we're so prepared. My sister in Fla is wishing us Good Luck!!  stupid Hope we don't get what they say! Better get the milk and bread...

Hope the storm isn't too severe Carol.

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 25-Aug-11, 04:57:30 AM »

If Irene follows 1985 Gloria's path, you should be wet and a bit windy, Donna, in Northern NJ.  For those on the Island and in CT, that will be a different story!  We are still planning to go to Hickory, NC over the weekend, but we are going to turn off the pool filter (leaves and branches), bring in my lawn decorations, and put my hanging plants on the ground.  Might not have to do that much because the current track is sparing the Bay.  Should be an interesting 24-hours!
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-Aug-11, 05:06:54 AM »

Good luck, everyone - and stay safe!

As it happens, this time 25 years ago, Hurricane Charlie struck Ireland. My sister and I flew back from Amsterdam on that night, and then we had the long drive back to Wicklow. I will never forget it!!
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-Aug-11, 02:57:08 PM »

I remember Hurricane Gloria in 1985.  I was living on the north shore of Long Island, and Gloria hit the Island hard!    Lots of damage, flooding, and power outages. Not a fun time.  I hope that Irene drifts further east and does not hit the east coast as hard!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25-Aug-11, 09:54:48 PM »

Where ever this Hurricane hits, it's going to be nasty.  The last potential tract of the storm had it sideswiping Rochester!  Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing over the next few days.  Stay safe everyone!   rain 

Peregrines know no borders.....
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-Aug-11, 05:42:38 PM »

Stay save everyone!
I'm  to busy this year to post a lot on the forum .But I read all the messages every day,I still think this is the best forum.I admire all you falconwatchers ,and I watch all the pictures en videos everyone posts .Patti ,I came halfway true your album and will watch the rest of the pictures on a cold winternight.I miss Aafke and hope she will be back on the forum soon.For now I hope the storm is going to slow down and causes not to much damage.
Greetings Carla
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-Aug-11, 07:26:51 PM »

Stay save everyone!
I'm  to busy this year to post a lot on the forum .But I read all the messages every day,I still think this is the best forum.I admire all you falconwatchers ,and I watch all the pictures en videos everyone posts .Patti ,I came halfway true your album and will watch the rest of the pictures on a cold winternight.I miss Aafke and hope she will be back on the forum soon.For now I hope the storm is going to slow down and causes not to much damage.
Greetings Carla

Thanks Carla!  This is going to be a bad one.  and I miss Aafke too! 

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-Aug-11, 07:47:47 PM »

Stay save everyone!
Greetings Carla

I hope everyone in this storm's path stays safe and I also miss Aafke and all her many contributions to this Forum.  Hope she comes back soon!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-Aug-11, 08:17:24 PM »

Stay save everyone!
Greetings Carla

I hope everyone in this storm's path stays safe and I also miss Aafke and all her many contributions to this Forum.  Hope she comes back soon!

Have no fear, Aafke will re-appear!!  clap

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 26-Aug-11, 09:53:48 PM »

Any of you in Irene's path might want to consider this.
--------------------------------------------------
HURRICANE IRENE: Calling All Broadcasters!

This weekend, Hurricane Irene is expected to make landfall and affect numerous regions on the Eastern seaboard. Ustream’s technology is allowing news organizations and citizens to capture live footage of the events that will occur during the hurricane, and millions will be tuning in to see what happens.

Ustream is calling all broadcasters affected by Hurricane Irene to stream their hurricane experience and share it with the world.  Citizen journalism is a powerful and empowering way to share moments like these. Spread the word!

Locations Expected to be Affected:
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
Pennsylvania
Baltimore
DC
New Jersey
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Long Island
New York
Submit Your Stream:
Let us know about your stream and submit your channel URL to hurricanewatch@ustream.tv
Also, Fox is accepting Ustream channel broadcast, submit your Ustream footage at http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/weather/weather_news/ustream-with-myfoxdc.
***Just remember to stay safe and follow all instructions given by law enforcement and community leaders.***

Examples - Hurricane Irene Channels:
http://www.ustream.tv/cbsnews
Live Hurricane IRENE Coverage
The Hurricane Channel
Sheraton Atlantic Beach - Irene
How to Broadcast:
Broadcast from your computer, mobile phone, or even your iPad / tablet. You will need to setup a Ustream account if you have not created one already. To get started go to www.ustream.tv and “SIGNUP” for an account.

Please remember to tag your streams as “Hurricane Irene” so we can search for your live broadcast and channel. If you need additional help, please email support@ustream.tv.

For Updates & News:
Follow Ustream on Facebook,  Twitter, and the Ustream Blog for breaking news, shout-outs of your featured stream, and more.

www.facebook.com/Ustream
www.twitter.com/Ustream
www.ustream.tv/blog

Thank you,
Ustream News Team
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-Aug-11, 10:10:21 PM »

Careful out there everyone.  Bad stuff coming our way.   scared blue

Should be past us by midnite according to the Weather Channel.

I'm worried about the Hurricane that's headin our way!! Like, we're so prepared. My sister in Fla is wishing us Good Luck!!  stupid Hope we don't get what they say! Better get the milk and bread...

Hope the storm isn't too severe Carol.

Anderson Cooper tweeted that his house might be flooded on Sunday.  Yikes!  Donna, stay safe.  Or come here and stay safe!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
valhalla
« Reply #11 on: 27-Aug-11, 08:58:11 AM »

Checking in From Smith Mt Lake, VA (near Lynchburg) and headed to western NC (Hickory) - NOTHING is forecast for either location.  As for home, it has already been downgraded to CAT 1 (85 MPH sustained winds at the eye-wall, not at the edges, remember).  Heavy rain is expected (we lowered the pool about a foot).  Loose stuff was brought in (except bird feeders, which were filled).  If a tree falls, cant do a thing about it anyway.  We'll be back home on Monday.  Oh!  Left 2 canays in a coal mine - a bowl of ice cubes in each freezer to warn me if the power was off a long time.  If I find a frozen puddle, not eating the food!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-Aug-11, 06:04:51 PM »

Checking in From Smith Mt Lake, VA (near Lynchburg) and headed to western NC (Hickory) - NOTHING is forecast for either location.  As for home, it has already been downgraded to CAT 1 (85 MPH sustained winds at the eye-wall, not at the edges, remember).  Heavy rain is expected (we lowered the pool about a foot).  Loose stuff was brought in (except bird feeders, which were filled).  If a tree falls, cant do a thing about it anyway.  We'll be back home on Monday.  Oh!  Left 2 canarys in a coal mine - a bowl of ice cubes in each freezer to warn me if the power was off a long time.  If I find a frozen puddle, not eating the food!

That is a great idea Janet.  About the ice I mean.   thumbsup

and 3,000 posts!  You go girl!   clap

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-Aug-11, 06:19:23 PM »

I'm as ready as I can be.  Right now I'm waiting for some clearer idea when the heavy rains will actually get here.  I need to head into work ahead of the real nasty stuff (I work in a nursing home-all hands needed in critical weather) but it's barely moved in the past few hours. 

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-Aug-11, 11:23:05 PM »

Checking in From Smith Mt Lake, VA (near Lynchburg) and headed to western NC (Hickory) - NOTHING is forecast for either location.  As for home, it has already been downgraded to CAT 1 (85 MPH sustained winds at the eye-wall, not at the edges, remember).  Heavy rain is expected (we lowered the pool about a foot).  Loose stuff was brought in (except bird feeders, which were filled).  If a tree falls, cant do a thing about it anyway.  We'll be back home on Monday.  Oh!  Left 2 canarys in a coal mine - a bowl of ice cubes in each freezer to warn me if the power was off a long time.  If I find a frozen puddle, not eating the food!

That is a great idea Janet.  About the ice I mean.   thumbsup

and 3,000 posts!  You go girl!   clap

I , too, like the idea of the canary...I mean the bowl of ice cubes in the freezer.  New to me, but makes perfect sense!         And congrats about the 3K posts!    Stay safe, but I think you have escaped the worst of Irene.
« Last Edit: 28-Aug-11, 07:28:12 AM by Shaky » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: