THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 02:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Eagle cam  (Read 131659 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 12-Feb-16, 08:19:30 PM »

Tandem feeding tonight!  2thumbsup

http://youtu.be/4_rvZXdls6c

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 17-Feb-16, 08:11:15 AM »

E8 is not doing well and needs a rescue. E7 is pummeling his poor sib.

Today at 5:24pm SWFL
AEF, will rescue this eaglet if given the go ahead from USFWS. They said they will take the eaglet out of the nest and raise it at the AEF. They are precluded by an active nest, until given the go ahead. Let me be clear, they want to do the rescue! But their hands are tied by Federal law. If they are given the go ahead, and enough pressure is applied. Then they will be willing to go into the nest......Phone: 239/561 8144

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 17-Feb-16, 10:55:18 AM »

E8 is not doing well and needs a rescue. E7 is pummeling his poor sib.

Today at 5:24pm SWFL
AEF, will rescue this eaglet if given the go ahead from USFWS. They said they will take the eaglet out of the nest and raise it at the AEF. They are precluded by an active nest, until given the go ahead. Let me be clear, they want to do the rescue! But their hands are tied by Federal law. If they are given the go ahead, and enough pressure is applied. Then they will be willing to go into the nest.

E8 had a wonderful feed by his mom last night, after E7 went to sleep, and he got another feed that filled his crop this AM.  Whoever posted this on FB should just walk away from the computer like I did yesterday..it was tough to watch.  The Pritchetts have made it well known they will not allow any intervention that involves what happens naturally in the wild..survival of the fittest..and will turn the cameras off if people keep posting numbers to call for any rescue.  This was posted on BCAW this AM..gives a great insight on the horrors of bonking.

https://plus.google.com/106984041784357187460/posts/EAxRUk7K2hd
« Last Edit: 17-Feb-16, 12:20:13 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Tapper Gal
Fledgling

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 17-Feb-16, 11:21:00 AM »

Thank you for this posting.I had no idea that this is part of eagle life.I am always learning.  good post

Tapper Gal, AKA ,  Diane
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 17-Feb-16, 12:34:51 PM »

Thank you for this posting.I had no idea that this is part of eagle life.I am always learning.  good post

Bonking by older siblings goes on in Eagle nests every year but SWFL Eaglets are notorious for it.  Yesterday, not only was E7 pecking viciously on E8's head but was pulling and biting on its wings.  Poor E8 was in submissive posture all day until last night. After E7 got a huge feeding and was too sleepy to bonk, E8 finally got a wonderful feed from Harriet.  From what I've read, Eagle parents won't encourage Eaglets to eat, unlike Peregrines..unless they come to the food and show an interest in being fed, they don't get any food.  E8 started out bonking E7 back before he was taken from the nest for removal of the fishing line but has shown a great fear of E7 since returning. So far today, it's been a good day with both Eaglets getting 2 good feeds.  E7 has given E8 a couple bonks for good measure but nothing like the past couple days..hope it continues!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 17-Feb-16, 05:35:02 PM »

http://youtu.be/RqEi24r_5Kc

Starts off with a whomp or 2 but E8 gets a meal!!  heart

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 17-Feb-16, 06:06:53 PM »

It's hard to watch now that we can see it in streaming real-time, but sibling bonking has been part of eagle cam watching as long as I've been doing it. This post is from Blackwater in 2014

https://blackwatereaglecam.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/the-eagle-festival-and-mealtime/

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 18-Feb-16, 01:11:55 PM »

Official Statement from AEF President, Al Cecere:

"Greetings to the followers and supporters of SWFEC and all eagle cam enthusiasts!

It was brought to the American Eagle Foundation's attention that many concerned individuals have been stating that the AEF wants to rescue E8 from its SWFL nest. It has also been stated that we are actively asking people to call the USFWS to put pressure on them to let us complete this rescue.

We wanted to quell these rumors and ensure everyone that this is not true. Whatever information that is being passed around must have been the result of a misinterpretation/misunderstanding.

The AEF only considers intervening with wild nests when there is an absolute need or direct imminent danger that is acknowledged by the USFWS. It is always best for an Eaglet to be raised by its wild parents if possible.

That said, AEF is always willing to offer rehabilitation to any bird of prey in need of it, and is always willing to help an eaglet that needs to be rehabilitated and introduced back into the wild in the most non-intrusive way, such as through the AEF’s Eaglet Hacking Program (Eaglet Hacking is the process of introducing an eaglet into the wild with little to no direct human interaction in a natural setting from a undisturbed nesting tower).

Initially, when the eaglet was in danger (due to line wrapped around its ankle) and was taken to CROW for rehabilitation, AEF reached out to the USFWS and offered the services of its Hacking Program, but only if the eaglet needed extensive rehabilitation and would not be able to return to the nest in a timely manner. After USFWS thanked the AEF for their offer and informed them that the eaglet was well enough to be placed back in the nest, the AEF was thrilled to hear that it would not need any subsequent human intervention and is not planning to pursue the matter further unless specifically requested by the USFWS.

The AEF is always excited to hear about the success of any wild nest. We are all rooting for E8 and this newly bonded pair!

Respectfully,

Al
www.eagles.org"

From CROW FB-

CROW continues to receive numerous questions regarding why we cannot remove E8 from its nest at Southwest Florida Eagle Cam.  Dr. Barron, hospital director at CROW, has provided a statement below that we hope will answer some of your questions. 

"Siblicide is well known among bald eagles with the smaller eaglet generally disappearing between the third and eighth week in most surveys. Some research data shows that less than 10% of hatched eaglets will survive to reach maturity. Siblicide is an adaptive behavior that increases survival chances for both the parents and the remaining sibling. This is what natures intends and humans interfering with this upsets the balance of nature. CROW is not allowed to intervene in normal eagle behavior, which includes siblicide. Federal permission was sought to remove the eaglet from the nest previously and was granted based on the eaglet being entangled in a man-made line. E8 was always smaller than E7 and rivalry existed between the two prior to CROW’s intervention last week. While it is hard to watch, it ensures survival of the fittest and permission from U.S. FWS will not be granted to CROW to intervene in this display of normal eagle behavior.”

E8 has gotten some great feeds past 2 days with minor bonks from E7! M15 has been keeping the pantry full..great dad!  bow

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 18-Feb-16, 02:25:51 PM »

Eagle cams are difficult to watch and probably should come with a warning. We need to remember that the purpose of the cam is to learn how eagles behave in the wild. It is not meant to save every eagle chick that hatches. It is wrong to meddle with their lives unless, like this time with fishing line entanglement, the problem is man-made. Unfortunately the second chick is little more than insurance and often does not survive. I don't like it, but that's what eagles do. We watch to learn, not to interfere. Putting pressure on cam operators to meddle with eagle lives does not show respect for nature.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 18-Feb-16, 03:37:35 PM »

Eagle cams are difficult to watch and probably should come with a warning. We need to remember that the purpose of the cam is to learn how eagles behave in the wild. It is not meant to save every eagle chick that hatches. It is wrong to meddle with their lives unless, like this time with fishing line entanglement, the problem is man-made. Unfortunately the second chick is little more than insurance and often does not survive. I don't like it, but that's what eagles do. We watch to learn, not to interfere. Putting pressure on cam operators to meddle with eagle lives does not show respect for nature.

Dot in PA

I couldn't have said it better Dot!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 18-Feb-16, 04:04:46 PM »

Dot in PA

I couldn't have said it better Dot!  clap
Try to remember how many nests we never see!  You don't know what's happening and every little bird everywhere usually survives.  The adult birds know what to do better than us!!

Lynne in New Hampshire
Tapper Gal
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 18-Feb-16, 05:05:46 PM »

Appreciate all of your words.As the cam operators advise us who view the Eagle cam,turn away, give yourself permission and don't watch.Good advice.  good post

Tapper Gal, AKA ,  Diane
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 24-Feb-16, 11:08:24 PM »

Both Eaglets are growing and E8 has learned to be a survivor..getting food any way he can!  wub2

http://youtu.be/g-_XdHLV6ME

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 01-Mar-16, 11:18:14 AM »

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA EAGLE CAM·TUESDAY, 1 MARCH 2016
Nest mates E7 and E8 are progressing each day as young eaglets. E7 has been mastering aggressiveness and is mostly first to eat at meal delivery. E8 gains courage and learns new ways to get to the food by staying out of the way and slowly making a move when the time is right. E8 is becoming more assertive and eager grabbing a good share at mealtime. All these skills are valuable for young Eagles to learn for their survival. Their growth and lessons are in high gear as Mom and Dad provide nourishment and guidance.
E7 and E8 have natural curiosity in their near and far environment. They are picking up and moving sticks and grasses to help Mom and Dad with “nestorations”. E8 searches the nest for any leftover food morsels. They waddle to the nest edge to peer over at the outside world. Wing flapping in the breezes and standing tall for longer periods all help them grow stronger each day.
Harriet and M15’s bond grows stronger as they care for their young. They have managed to spend some time together at the pond and perched in some of their favorite place. Their view is always focused on their nest and the precious cargo it holds. M15 has grown into a strong Eagle Dad and Harriet continually demonstrates the strength she possesses as Eagle Mom. All the bonds are strengthening daily in their growth as Eagle family. Nest Notes by dadsjazz

Tapper Gal
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 02-Mar-16, 01:17:21 AM »

clap    thanx   Good info to know.

Tapper Gal, AKA ,  Diane
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: