THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:52:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078615 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: 04-Apr-15, 06:24:35 PM »

hi Alison - I am still working on determining if Jack is at his other site, I think he is however it's private property so I can't go on the property to ID him.  I've got a few people that live nearby working on it so we'll see what they come up with.   

It was strange - Jack was at our site on a Saturday - I even took a screen shot of him and then on Sunday I saw no one and first thing Monday morning I see Lucky on the ledge.  No reports of a battle at all.  But O'Connor was less than impressed with sharing Jack after last years losses and he didn't seem too keen on her either based on some behaviors he was exhibiting towards her.  The speed with which she accepted Lucky confirmed to me that my instincts on that were correct.

Perhaps at 13 he just decided - like Windwhistler once did - that it's better to retire quietly to his other site.  Though it's sad for those of us who follow Jack, for O'Connor I think it will be much better - she's a different bird since Lucky came along.

Thanks for answering my question, Carly..hope Jack's OK and at his other site!   wave

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: 04-Apr-15, 08:19:49 PM »

You're welcome Kris.  I couldn't figure out who asked, all I saw was squares with Alison's name and your name and I thought hers was last..lol...my apologies.  angel
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: 04-Apr-15, 10:24:42 PM »

You're welcome Kris.  I couldn't figure out who asked, all I saw was squares with Alison's name and your name and I thought hers was last..lol...my apologies.  angel

No problem.   handshake

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: 07-Apr-15, 07:46:51 AM »

R.I.P. Storm  crying crying

!!! Storm - Black 94 over D has been found dead!
April 06, 2015 - Mississauga - Holcim
CPF Postmaster Reports:
April 6th - 2015

A big thank you to the great staff at the Mississauga Animal Control for chasing us down this afternoon, sadly although, with some not so good news.

We are saddened to report that a deceased adult banded peregrine was picked up by their wildlife officers after a report was called into them of a downed, banded peregrine falcon around Hwy. #10 and the Lakeshore Blvd in Mississauga,, (just on the boarder of Oakville and Mississauga) Ontario.

The leg band identification told another part of the story, with the Solid Black banded peregrine - 94 over D, identified as “Storm”, a 2004 produced peregrine from the Etobicoke Bloor & Islington nest site.

Most recently, Storm was identified last season as being the resident territorial adult male at the Holcim nest site in Mississauga Ontario,, (not too far at all from where Storm’s body was recovered).

The obvious head trauma and other injuries were very consistent of a collision type of injury. No photos will be posted due to the graphic nature of the birds injuries.

The obvious question now remains,,, is Storm still Holcim’ s resident adult male (or should I say, was he),,, and,, who (if anyone), has replaced him at the Holcim nest site??????????

Recent observations of a few days ago, had two adults on site at Holcim, with copulation between the two resident adults having been observed.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: 07-Apr-15, 07:52:40 AM »

Ohhhhh, Storm! You did your best for so long! XXX
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: 07-Apr-15, 07:56:30 AM »

Fly Free Storm.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: 07-Apr-15, 08:23:45 AM »

Jeeze, how sad! Fly Free!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: 07-Apr-15, 06:42:25 PM »

sorrow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: 07-Apr-15, 10:44:11 PM »

Cry

Fly free, little one

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: 08-Apr-15, 07:45:22 AM »

Holcim Has a New Male; Not What I Expected
April 07, 2015 - Mississauga - Holcim
Tracy Simpson Reports:
After hearing of the recovery of the resident adult male Storm yesterday I was  intent on visiting the Holcim site today to check in on Caspian and how she is doing.  The last time I was out there the adults were getting ready to put down the first eggs of the season and I was sure that they would have their first by Monday March 3oth at the latest.

Today when I arrived there wasn’t a bird in view so I set up on Avonhead Road and waited for an appearance by, well, anyone.  After 20 minutes of nothing I decided to head over to the roadway that parallels the west side of the plant and found a bird on the south silos.  It took off and headed for the nest ledge so I headed back and found a male sitting on the east side of the nest ledge looking in.  I had no doubt he was looking at the female laying on eggs.  After about 10 minutes of this he reacted to movement on the ledge by bowing and taking up a defensive posture.  It was mere seconds and the female jumped up and was on the attack.  She chased the male off of the ledge and through the plant for a few minutes and was right back into the ledge and down.  He persisted and she went at him again driving him out.  Moments later she was back on the nest ledge and on her eggs.  The male finally gave up landing there with her and decided to patrol the plant for about 15 minutes.  He then landed on the short silos along Avonhead Road and I was able to get the scope on him. 

The first thing I noticed is that this bird is in juvenile plumage; last year’s hatch.  The second outstanding feature was the yellow tape over the USFW on the right leg.  Finally, I was able to clearly see a solid black recovery band on his left.  I was unable to read the band due to wind shake and distance and will have to come back for another try.  There are a few males that were banded last year in southern Ontario that were given yellow tape, the most notable being Trout from the Toronto Sheraton Hotel nest site who has been seen overwintering in Florida.  Could it be that Trout has come home to Ontario?  I will have to go back and confirm the band number before I can say for sure who it is.  What I can say is that Caspian, the resident female, wants nothing to do with him at this time and this new male will have his work cut out for him if he hopes to participate in this nesting season with her.  Should he stay with her and the eggs hatch, he will be helping to raise the final brood from Storm as eggs were laid well before this young male took over.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: 08-Apr-15, 07:52:51 AM »

Will it never end?? Wow, amazing these young ones!! Thanks

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: 08-Apr-15, 08:02:16 AM »

Truly amazing.  If this is Trout, he is quite the accomplished young tiercel.  Last time we saw him, he had migrated to Florida! 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: 08-Apr-15, 09:38:28 AM »

So sorry about the loss of Storm, and how sad he left a mate with eggs.  It would be great if this tiercel, even though very young, helps her with incubation and raising her young.  Stormin did that a few years ago, although I don't know if there were eggs or babies at the time.  If this is Trout..Wow!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: 26-Apr-15, 12:19:28 PM »

Hatching under way at MEC-Mississauga

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/Mississauga/index.htm

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: 26-Apr-15, 12:40:26 PM »

Saw a post on BCAW where Carly said Jack (DC's dad) has been seen at his other site so he's OK..good news!

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: