THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 12:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309728 times)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: 13-Jul-11, 09:17:44 PM »

Oh wow, now she picks at it. Must be itchy after 3 years....like a cast. We had 3 very very good years of tracking her. Wonder if she and Kendal will stay the Winter or move around. I'm sure he's thinking right now where to go, (on his own), with all that nagging she's doing. Maybe he's having 2nd thoughts!! I would. devil

Not itchy - it is time.  It served it's purpose and gave us a very, very special gift.  Now it is time for Quest to fly solo without us.

It is a poignant moment for all of us who have followed Quest since she was an egg.   That transmitter has allowed us to share her life, and to follow her escapades and adventures, and finally to share her "Harlequin Romance" moment with Kendal and little Harlequin.   It has been a privilege -- I've said that before. 
I'm happy that she will be a "freebird"  and lose that transmitter, but I think she will stick around her chosen site as her mother did, so  we will be able to keep track of Quest, and Kendal if he comes back after winter break.  Harlequin -- she will be the one we will wonder about.   Maybe she will settle down in Rochester!
And Archer will have three females in town !   Anyone untangle that family tree ?  :-)
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: 13-Jul-11, 10:37:02 PM »

Oh wow, now she picks at it. Must be itchy after 3 years....like a cast. We had 3 very very good years of tracking her. Wonder if she and Kendal will stay the Winter or move around. I'm sure he's thinking right now where to go, (on his own), with all that nagging she's doing. Maybe he's having 2nd thoughts!! I would. devil

Having worn neoprene before...I have to think it's HOT as well!
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: 13-Jul-11, 11:39:44 PM »

Not itchy - it is time.  It served it's purpose and gave us a very, very special gift.  Now it is time for Quest to fly solo without us.

It is a poignant moment for all of us who have followed Quest since she was an egg.   That transmitter has allowed us to share her life, and to follow her escapades and adventures, and finally to share her "Harlequin Romance" moment with Kendal and little Harlequin.   It has been a privilege -- I've said that before. 
I'm happy that she will be a "freebird"  and lose that transmitter, but I think she will stick around her chosen site as her mother did, so  we will be able to keep track of Quest, and Kendal if he comes back after winter break.  Harlequin -- she will be the one we will wonder about.   Maybe she will settle down in Rochester!
And Archer will have three females in town !   Anyone untangle that family tree ?  :-)

so well said, Margaret!!  We have been having our love affair with Quest for 3 years!  What a gift!  And to be able to see her with her mate and baby has been a blessing!  May all three be strong and safe!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: 14-Jul-11, 06:57:07 AM »

Don Mills - Harlequin soars in the sky
July 13, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

At the Toronto Don Mills location many of us were treated to some great flying by Harlequin.  She was soaring in the sky.  Moving from building to building.

The best part for me was when Quest fed her on the ledge.  Makes you remember Harlie is still a young falcon.

Ann

Beautiful Harlie!

Most excellent pictures of Harlequin by Ann!!  clap
« Last Edit: 14-Jul-11, 07:57:13 AM by Shaky » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: 14-Jul-11, 07:56:43 AM »

Flying by the nest a few times. Harlie??

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: 14-Jul-11, 08:00:02 AM »

Flying by the nest a few times. Harlie??

Wings look long-I'd agree  wub2

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: 14-Jul-11, 08:59:31 AM »

Ann Brokelman Reports:

At the Toronto Don Mills location many of us were treated to some great flying by Harlequin.  She was soaring in the sky.  Moving from building to building.

The best part for me was when Quest fed her on the ledge.  Makes you remember Harlie is still a young falcon.

Ann

Beautiful Harlie!

Dittoes!   Wonderful pictures of Harlequine! 
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: 14-Jul-11, 11:38:47 AM »

Ann Brokelman Reports:

Ann

Beautiful Harlie!

clap  Absolutely fantastic shots Ann!  flash  Thank you!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: 14-Jul-11, 12:48:02 PM »

Thanks, Ann, for the beautiful pics of Harlie!  She is gorgeous!

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: 14-Jul-11, 12:53:48 PM »

Beautiful pictures! 

Thanks,

Paul
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: 14-Jul-11, 07:00:20 PM »

!!! Baby H is just incredible and her flights are getting better every day! Her landing are now almost perfect - (very adult like)!!
Mark Nash Reports:

Wednesday July 13th - 2011
PM watch report:

A quickly update that combines several peoples observations, as there are so many fledge watch observations notes being sent in that I simply can’t keep up.

A huge thank you to all that have been spending time with us the streets on the Don Mills fledge watch, as without your support and presence, there could have been many lonely days and nights in the streets, and the fledge watch could have been incredibly more challenging given Baby H’s advanced flying skills and movements.

While baby H has not come to the ground and so far has not needed any “ground support”, her incredible activity has kept us all scrambling and running around the neighbourhood to keep an eye on her. Thank GOD that this nest site is not in a cluster of hi-rise office towers as baby Harlequin would have had us all expiring in the streets trying to keep up with all of her activity.

The heat and humid X over the last few days has been almost debilitating!

A huge thank you to all of the Harlequin staff that have been out to help, along with Murray and Debbie who have been dropping out in the early morning hours before, during and after work every day! Another huge thank you to Bruce, Carol, Ann and Caroline who have also been in the streets every day putting in some long hours on the fledge watch.

Bruce reports that he witnessed a mid-air food transfer with Quest and Baby H and something incredible to see so early in a juveniles first week of flights!! Late in the evening around 8pm, Marion and I witnessed Kendal in a long horizontal stoop on a hunting mission with Baby H in tow trying to keep up with her fathers incredible speed.

While Kendal was unsuccessful in his efforts to make the kill, Baby H was with him the entire time participating, and this was clearly a “hunting lesson”, and not a real determined focussed hunt. Maybe Kendal might have actually been successful if only Baby H had not have been screaming through the entire session  Lol

Baby H’s landings our almost adult like, as she is no longer “ dropping in from above” in the typical juvenile fashion!! While she has still not been able to land on the rim of the huge satellite dish on the roof top of 220 Duncan Mill Rd,,, she is still trying! Practice makes perfect as they say, and we’re all looking forward to seeing her accomplish this.

Quest is still nagging Kendal mercilessly all the time, and even I’m feeling bad for him!! This evening, Kendal brought in two packages of food, one being delivered to the nest tray. Quest rushed in screaming and snatched it from him and flew off with Baby H following. Moments later, Quest appeared screaming at him again. Kendal flew off with Quest chasing him to the south west. Several minutes later, Quest returned an took up a roosting position around the north side of the nest building and appeared to be eating the package of food that she had earlier snatched from Kendal. No food for Baby H.
Moments after that, Kendal reappeared and tucked himself on a window ledge on the west side fo the nest building, quite obviously hiding from his mate. He stay there tucked in close to the window for close to 20 minutes. Then,,, Quest was observed flying high around he nest building and spotted him, and the screaming started!!! Quest pursued Kendal once again screaming at the top of her lungs and off he fly to the south with Quest in pursuit.

A half hour later, Kendal returned with yet another food package landing on a ledge on the south face of the nest building. Before the poor guy could even turn around after making his landing, Both Quest and Baby H were all over him, and the food was snatched from his mouth before he even knew what had happened to him. While Quest and Baby H flew of in a chase, Kendal spent several minutes on the ledge in what could best be described as “bewilderment” and shock!!

We were all shocked!!,,, and so was he!!! Not more than two minutes has passed, and Quest was back on the same ledge where Kendal was still standing, again screaming at him. Kendal flew off again to the south east and was not seen again by 9:30pm when we closed off the watch for the evening.

It is well worth noting, that you can almost set your watch by Kendals this activity around this time of the evening, in addition to Baby H going to one of the upper window sills and laying down to indicate to us that she is finished for the day. Quest takes up a roosting position and becomes completely in-active as well and you know that the days activities are over!

Marion and I packed up around 9:45pm and departed for home.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: 14-Jul-11, 07:47:14 PM »

wave Thanks Carly and Mark for the update.  foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: 14-Jul-11, 08:56:42 PM »

OMG, poor Kendal has a nagging wife!! If Mark is shocked, well then!  hyper

rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: 14-Jul-11, 09:26:59 PM »

happy  Who would have thought a big pudgy fluffball, who just ate and slept all day
would turn into an experienced fledge in just 5 days.
Fly safe Harlie.    clap
Rita - Syr
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: 14-Jul-11, 10:09:24 PM »

Harlie's abilities don't surprise--as we al ways say in education "pupil to teacher ration is very
important" also would you want to be on Quest"s bad side?  (poor sweet Kendal)  heart
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: