THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078595 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: 05-Jun-12, 08:32:13 PM »

That photo is taken from downtown somewhere, right in the heart of the concrete jungle where King St and Sheraton are located - I recognize those buildings.  There are some pricey condos down in that area as it's right near the harbour front area.

Well then...I was going to say it looked like Rhea Mae but the glass balcony threw me off. If that's where it is then that's who I think it is!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 06-Jun-12, 01:24:08 PM »

!!! Windsor - First fledged - Twitter has fledged!
June 06, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 5th - 2012
Just received e-mail from Dennis in Windsor that “Twitter” is the first one to fledge. Awaiting news and further information. Stay tuned…….

Four hatchlings growing very quickly!
June 06, 2012 - Niagara Falls
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 6th - 2012
Two days til banding! It definitely appears that four growing eyasses are growing quickly!!
Vicki Kadow and Roger Johnson

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 06-Jun-12, 03:39:33 PM »

!!! Windsor - First fledged - Twitter has fledged!
June 06, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 5th - 2012
Just received e-mail from Dennis in Windsor that “Twitter” is the first one to fledge. Awaiting news and further information. Stay tuned…….

CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 6th - 2012
Two days til banding! It definitely appears that four growing eyasses are growing quickly!!

Only 4, I thought there were 5 at this sight...

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: 06-Jun-12, 03:49:49 PM »

CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 6th - 2012

Only 4, I thought there were 5 at this sight...

There were 5 eggs. Best count Sage has gotten is 4 for sure. There could still be one hiding among the fluff.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 06-Jun-12, 05:32:48 PM »

William Osler Has a Hatch!!!
June 06, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I just received a phone call from Ross at William Osler Hospital and today the resident male Hurricane and his new mate Chessie have had a hatch!!  The second egg is still in place and should hatch sometime over the next two days depending on when it was laid.  This is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing the young ones!!  Check back soon as more details and photos to follow.

(She's considered a sub-adult and hers hatched) Poor Pigott  Sad

Babies Seen Today!!
-
Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square Peregrine report 20120605

Two minutes after I arrived today Haven flew in from the south somewhere and made several lazy spirals over the black building, Canada Square and Yonge/Eglinton intersection before disappearing on the east side of Rio-Can.

Five minutes later she flew in with a food parcel and today she stood on the edge of the ledge and fed her eyases. I saw one little head for a brief second before it was gone. Once she had finished feeding them she disappeared to the back of the nest and then flew to the RC building and perched 7 floors from the top.

Twenty five minutes later Haven flew back to the nest ledge and ate some of the leftovers. Whilst she was busy eating I saw ONE HEAD AND ONE WING at the back of the nest. This is my first time seeing the youngsters active in the nest this year.

Once she had finished eating Haven sat on the edge with her back to the sun. She did turn around for a few minutes but then turned her back on us again. Half an hour later, Haven flew off the nest to RC and perched, briefly, six floors from the top, before flying to the wall/upright at the nest.

At7:24 pm Stormin put in an appearance from the east side of RC building, flying east a bit before turning around and flying west again to gain height to perch three floors from the top on the south face.

I was not paying attention and missed Haven’s flight to RC but did catch her flight from that building and I saw her go into a stoop over the black building before disappearing. Shortly thereafter Haven flew from around 2180 Yonge and up the west side of that and the black building with a struggling bird firmly clasped in a talon. She perched seven floors from the top with the still squawking bird. It uttered a few peeps later on and then Haven *dispatched* it before plucking feathers from it and flying to the nest ledge where she once again perched on the edge and fed the eyases. This time I saw a whole head with gaping maw as Haven fed them!

Once she had finished she flew to RC, perched briefly and flew to the wall/upright at the nest.

Finally I saw two heads and some wings going through their exercises. I have been waiting for this for ages.

Stormin put in a last and brief appearance before disappearing behind the RC and presumably going up Yonge. I saw one head and one wing and then I called it a day, leaving Haven perched on the wall.

Lyn

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 06-Jun-12, 05:34:56 PM »

2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 06-Jun-12, 09:35:13 PM »

William Osler Has a Hatch!!!
June 06, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I just received a phone call from Ross at William Osler Hospital and today the resident male Hurricane and his new mate Chessie have had a hatch!!  The second egg is still in place and should hatch sometime over the next two days depending on when it was laid.  This is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing the young ones!!  Check back soon as more details and photos to follow.

(She's considered a sub-adult and hers hatched) Poor Pigott  Sad

Babies Seen Today!!
-
Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square Peregrine report 20120605

Two minutes after I arrived today Haven flew in from the south somewhere and made several lazy spirals over the black building, Canada Square and Yonge/Eglinton intersection before disappearing on the east side of Rio-Can.

Five minutes later she flew in with a food parcel and today she stood on the edge of the ledge and fed her eyases. I saw one little head for a brief second before it was gone. Once she had finished feeding them she disappeared to the back of the nest and then flew to the RC building and perched 7 floors from the top.

Twenty five minutes later Haven flew back to the nest ledge and ate some of the leftovers. Whilst she was busy eating I saw ONE HEAD AND ONE WING at the back of the nest. This is my first time seeing the youngsters active in the nest this year.

Once she had finished eating Haven sat on the edge with her back to the sun. She did turn around for a few minutes but then turned her back on us again. Half an hour later, Haven flew off the nest to RC and perched, briefly, six floors from the top, before flying to the wall/upright at the nest.

At7:24 pm Stormin put in an appearance from the east side of RC building, flying east a bit before turning around and flying west again to gain height to perch three floors from the top on the south face.

I was not paying attention and missed Haven’s flight to RC but did catch her flight from that building and I saw her go into a stoop over the black building before disappearing. Shortly thereafter Haven flew from around 2180 Yonge and up the west side of that and the black building with a struggling bird firmly clasped in a talon. She perched seven floors from the top with the still squawking bird. It uttered a few peeps later on and then Haven *dispatched* it before plucking feathers from it and flying to the nest ledge where she once again perched on the edge and fed the eyases. This time I saw a whole head with gaping maw as Haven fed them!

Once she had finished she flew to RC, perched briefly and flew to the wall/upright at the nest.

Finally I saw two heads and some wings going through their exercises. I have been waiting for this for ages.

Stormin put in a last and brief appearance before disappearing behind the RC and presumably going up Yonge. I saw one head and one wing and then I called it a day, leaving Haven perched on the wall.

Lyn

Forgive my ignorance...I really need a score care here, but why do I know the name Chessie?  She is a newbie, but where did she hatch?  I keep thinking Buffalo or   Central Terminal?   And Stormin.  Isn't he related to the Rochester family tree?   Can someone explain once again? I need a big family tree drawing!  :-)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 06-Jun-12, 10:34:42 PM »

Chessie is from Central Terminal in Buffalo. Last years fledgling.  Stormin is one of Rhea Mae's kids.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 07-Jun-12, 06:59:02 AM »

Hamilton kids on the ledge!
« Last Edit: 07-Jun-12, 10:37:31 AM by Shaky » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 08-Jun-12, 06:34:48 AM »

A gallery of Twitter, the baby peregrine falcon from Ambassador Bridge.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2012/06/07/wdr-gallery-peregrine-falcon-twitter.html

She was one of the first of chicks hatched under the Ambassador Bridge to take flight this week.

Mike Evans spent hours snapping photos of the bird.

!!! Niagara falls banding success! 4 very healthy hatchlings!! 1 male & 3 females!
June 07, 2012 - Niagara Falls
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 7th - 2012
Banding Day success. In record time and without incident, four young hatchlings were weighed, sexed, banded, deemed healthy and returned to their parents. Both resident adult parents were hand to supervise the event and it was quite obvious that they were far more aggressive than last years banding. A big thank you to our climbers: John Millar and his assistant Jurgen Bilo for all of their assistance in the extraction of the hatchlings (and their safe return), and the Niagara Parks commission for their support.

A huge thank you to Anne Yagi of the OMNR for her support in banding the young hatchlings and to both Carol and Dana for their support.
The hatchlings Particulars:
1. - 865 grams, female - 23 days old - banded Black 46 over X - Named Rainbow - with Blue tape
2. - 876 grams, female - 22 days old - banded black 47 over X - Named Double Diamond - with Yellow tape
3. - 766 grams, male - 22 days old, banded Black 89 over Y, - Named Black Jack, with Green Tape
4. - 887 grams, female, 22 days old, banded Black X over 90, - Named Seven, with Red tape

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/06/sightings/niagara-falls-banding-success-4-very-healthy-hatchlings-2-males-2-females/ pics here
« Last Edit: 08-Jun-12, 10:11:49 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 08-Jun-12, 06:28:34 PM »

No Fledge Yet But We Are Close!!
June 07, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Post for Frank Butson.

On the early shift, Diana was on site watching the juveniles and there was a feeding early on followed by a great deal of flapping.  At 8:30am, Tracy and I arrived to find Jack and O’Connor both on site; Jack was roosting and preening on top of the nest building and O’Connor was moving about the territory clearing the air space for Euro who seemed to be the most active of the bunch.  Just after 9am, an immature Bald eagle flew between the two condos, circled and headed back towards the lake with no reaction from either parent.  By noon, Euro and one of his sisters were actively preening the afternoon away removing the last of their downy childhood feathers.  The next food package came in at around 3pm and was quite small; just enough to whet the appetite.  O’Connor spent the next hour circling the nest building and then on to the entire neighborhood on recon flights looking for anything that could interfere with the first flights of her young ones.  Another food package arrived just after 4pm that was too small to fill them up but just enough to quiet them down.  Tracy and Mark arrived just after 6pm and things began to heat up with Euro running the length of the ledge back and forth and gearing up for a first leap into the air.  At one point, he made his way down to the east end of the ledge and was looking over to the next ledge with serious intent on his face.  For a moment it looked as if he was going to make the leap to the other side but at the last minute he realized that he just wasn’t fired up enough!!  A late night meal was delivered by Jack just before 9pm that was enough to send everyone to bed for the night.  O’Connor then made her way over to the chicks on the tray for a quick good night squawk and then up to the top of the camera where she went to bed herself.  Tomorrow should be interesting as Euro is more than ready to go and O’Connor knows it!!  Pictures from today will be posted shortly so check back soon.

!!! Twitter and General Brock fledged
June 07, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

There’s been so much activity I don’t know where to start so we’ll start with the day before the fledging started. Tuesday, we were there for over five hours watching all four chicks and Mom and Dad. Lots of flapping, very noisy and lots of eating going on. We find this year that Freddie and Voltaire are so much more relaxed and we believe it’s because of the nest box. Thank You to CPF for providing it and placing it when the chicks were being banded last year.
Wednesday we got a call from our early morning Volunteer that Twitter had flown from the nest around 6 A.M. She was on the steps of the buiding next to the parking lot across the street where the nest is situated. She kept on going up until she came to the roof then she stayed there for quite a while resting and looking around. She did a great job flying across the street and landing on the abutment. We watched her walk up the pipes until it got windy and she decided to walk into a perfect little hide away for the night.
This morning we arrived there to find out that General Brock had fledged as well. He was flying around and doing a great job until he came down in the parking lot and proceeded to walk up the same steps as Twitter did the day before. When he reached the roof he flew over to the next building and stayed there for quite awhile just looking around at everything that was going on. Voltaire came in with food for him. A while later he decided it was time for another flying trip which he did and landed on the abutment. When we left he was still there and had been fed by Voltaire while Twitter was on the beams behind the Bridge. Freddy and Voltaire are well aware of where they all are resting. After seeing Twitter and General Brock do so well in their flying we are now looking forward to seeing Viper and Eddy do the same. We have lots of Volunteers this year which makes it less stressful for us. A big Thank You to everyone that shows up to Watch, it makes life easier for us. Lots of people are stopping by because they have heard about it on the radio and T.V. It’s great to have people stopping by to ask questions. Having four of these beautiful creatures is a wonderful thing. We always say “you don’t have to look for nature, it finds you instead.”
Stay tune for more news as these four fly around.
Gwen & Dennis Site Co-ordinators CPF

!!! Another failed clutch
June 07, 2012 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

I’m sad to report that we have had another loss of eggs. I did not witness what happened to them but on May 26th full incubation was under way. On May 27th, all 3 eggs were gone. In my last post I reported that there was an intruding falcon on site. Perhaps this had something to do with the situation. It’s discouraging to go through but we are dealing with nature here and it’s out of our control. The falcons are still around but I think it’s unlikely there will be a 3rd attempt at laying eggs.

King Street first day fledge watch
-
Zoe Berger Reports:

Before I left home I was pretty sure I had witnessed a fledge on the webcam around 7:35 am or so. I got downtown a bit after 8 am and it took awhile but I finally found the fledgling on the low Canada Press roof. For the second time in all my watching I was able to see the color band! It was not Grayor who we expected but the yellow Tristan! Neil came down around 10:30 and we watched him moving just a little bit around the roof. About 20 minutes after that Neil was starting to ask me “is that a pigeon” as I stood up and shrieked “he’s off!”. I ran down to King St since he seemed to fly south and Neil stayed there at Court St. An adult came in and the usual flurry of activity showed Tristan did not make it to King Street but stayed within that small roofed area and went out of sight. Annie showed up after 11 and we did not see Tristan again. We left the site unattended at 4:30. Paul and Neil will be down later this evening. The three on the ledge did a lot of flapping and a lot of napping.
« Last Edit: 08-Jun-12, 06:48:29 PM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 08-Jun-12, 10:22:00 PM »

!!! No sighting of Tristan.
June 08, 2012 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

I arrived on the King St site after checking in on the Sheraton site. Multiple walkarounds trying to get an angle of every possible corner of the buildings around 18 King St gave no indication as to where Tristan could be. The adults were staying in the direct area, so Tristan could not have moved out of their sight.  Paul and I scoured the area. Adults seemed to be paying attention to 33 Victoria street. This building takes up most of the block and has multiple address.  A food drop was made around 8:45 pm without and vocalizing from the fledgling. One adult was on the south east corner above the louvers of 33 Victoria Street.  Paul and I closed the watch around 8:50 p.m. Shortly after Mark arrived and saw both adults on the south east corner above the louvered area of 33 Victoria.  I think this is where Tristan could be. There is a cooling tower behind the louvered area and although there is a screen covering this area. We are not sure if the screen covers the entire cooling tower.  Tomorrow we will be back early in the morning and if still no sighting of Tristan, we will try for a better view from a different angle.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 09-Jun-12, 09:17:24 AM »

Second Egg at William Osler Has Hatched!!
June 09, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I received some great news from Ross at the William Osler Hospital site on Thursday that the second egg of Hurricane and Chessie has hatched!!  The two little ones are being brooded by Chessie right now as the weather turns less friendly and we will get pictures as soon as we can of the latest family.  Congratulations Hurricane, Chessie and all of the folks at William Osler Hospital!!

Hurry Up And Wait..and some photos
June 09, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Frank Butson Reports:

Day 3 was another day of hurry up and wait. After a short turn around for me I was glad to get alot of company and help today from Baylie,Rob,Diana and Kathy. Everyone doing their part helped the watch go smoothly. With the weekend upon us Im sure we will work together just as smoothly when chicks start flying everywhere. Thanks team!

Today there was a feeding at 8am. Feathers were showering down onto Bloor St. By 830am the chicks got their “pigeon power” and were busy flapping like mad things. By 9am their energy was spent and they had calmed down.

At 2pm all chicks were in view. Olympia  remained in the shadows while Windward,Regatta and Euro were right on the ledge edge. At 615pm Jack did a few “touch and goes”. The adults fly onto the ledge, the young run to the adult and the adult immediatly flys away, hoping to entice the young Peregrines into flight. After alot of heavy flapping,preening and ledge running,by about 930pm everyone was asleep for the night.

A  selection of photos from the past few days. Thanks to Rob and Baylie for their photos.

An important note, as evidenced from stories about O’Connor last year and early this season,she is a VERY AGGRESSIVE bird. She makes full contact with intruders whether avian or human. Not only did she strike one of the swingstage operators at banding but when the Kingsway On The Park had someone on the roof yesterday,she struck him and scartched him drawing blood before he really even got out the door. SHE IS FIERCE defending her young and they will soon be flighted. Residents local to the nest need to be careful this is not a bird to be triffled with. Surrounding buildings should not access areas such as rooftops unless absolutely necessary.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/06/sightings/hurry-up-and-waitand-some-photos/ pics

Hatchlings seen today!
June 06, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

June 6th - 2012
Frank Butson Reports:
Canada Square Peregrine report
Lyn

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: 09-Jun-12, 08:43:18 PM »

We're excited for Chessie on her first successful nesting!  Chessie was named for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad line.  She herself just hatched in 2011 ar Buffalo's Central Terminal, so her progress to date is astounding!  She is nesting with Hurricane at the William Osler Health Center in Etobicoke, Ont., Canada.  You go, girl!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 10-Jun-12, 03:04:46 AM »

We're excited for Chessie on her first successful nesting!  Chessie was named for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad line.  She herself just hatched in 2011 ar Buffalo's Central Terminal, so her progress to date is astounding!  She is nesting with Hurricane at the William Osler Health Center in Etobicoke, Ont., Canada.  You go, girl!

Born to Stash and Stella!  heart

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: